• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Leaf Spring Problem

Wait...What?

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, this is my first thread on here, so I believe this is where it should go.

I recently bought a 92 XJ (have had two before this one).

It has the 4.5 Rough Country lift on it.
I bought it from Lexington KY and live in Indianapolis IN.
My buddy brought me and followed me home in an LS1 RX7, while riding behind me, he noticed that one of the shocks had fallen loose.

I didnt think it would be THAT big a deal so we rolled it home.
The bolts and broken in half and were stuck in the nut. So right before rhino lining the hatch area we cut a hole in the floor and drilled through and replaced the broke shock with a new RC one.

My problem is it was sagging the whole time (rear passenger side), thought the shock would help, but Im assuming that the shock may have been broken for a while and that fubarred the leaf springs.

So my question is how do I go about fixing this?
Could I just go to a JY and pull some stock leaf springs?
And what exactly is in the RC lift kit that lifts the rear? And would it just transfer over to the replacement leaf springs.

Im guessing I can just go buy some stock leaf springs and its like a shackle that lifted it. I dont think it was an AAL type thing but I'm not sure...

Thanks in advance for the help guys. Im looking to get out to Haspin or the Badlands ASAP to see what the 34's can do.

Leaf springs are a contant problem. The bind, they warp, they sag. It's the nature of the beastie.

4.5" packs are generally not Add-A-Leaf packs, but full packs. If you try and "fix" them by making a bastard pack out of some other set of springs you will just be wasting your time as the main leaf is likely warped in the front 1/2 of the spring.

You can take them off and have them re-arched at a spring place. Or you can replace them. Check the Rough Country site and look for the 4.5" lift to see what springs came with it (part number) so you can order new. You can also order 4.5" full packs from other places like Rubicon Express and Rustys.

Unless you can find someone local selling a decent used pair of 4.5" springs, you'll need to replace both rear springs. I'd go with a new pair of aftermarket lift springs, that way you know how much lift they'll give you and that they won't be trashed. RC springs receive mixed reviews around here, but most companies make a 4.5" spring or spring/shackle combo. You didn't mention if you have "lift" shackles as well, i.e. longer boomerang shaped ones. Stock shackles can bottom out on full spring stuff and bend the leaves.

Hey, this is my first thread on here, so I believe this is where it should go.

I recently bought a 92 XJ (have had two before this one).

It has the 4.5 Rough Country lift on it.
I bought it from Lexington KY and live in Indianapolis IN.
My buddy brought me and followed me home in an LS1 RX7, while riding behind me, he noticed that one of the shocks had fallen loose.

I didnt think it would be THAT big a deal so we rolled it home.
The bolts and broken in half and were stuck in the nut. So right before rhino lining the hatch area we cut a hole in the floor and drilled through and replaced the broke shock with a new RC one.

My problem is it was sagging the whole time (rear passenger side), thought the shock would help, but Im assuming that the shock may have been broken for a while and that fubarred the leaf springs.

So my question is how do I go about fixing this?
Could I just go to a JY and pull some stock leaf springs?
And what exactly is in the RC lift kit that lifts the rear? And would it just transfer over to the replacement leaf springs.

Im guessing I can just go buy some stock leaf springs and its like a shackle that lifted it. I dont think it was an AAL type thing but I'm not sure...

Thanks in advance for the help guys. Im looking to get out to Haspin or the Badlands ASAP to see what the 34's can do.

PM grimus99xj He works at Rough Country he should be able to ID the leaf pack for you. sounds like the leaf pack is sagging to me.

what does the fact that he was driving a mazda with a chevy engine in it have to do with the rest of the story?

Maybe because it was low enough to see the shock come loose! :dunno:

You didn't mention if you have "lift" shackles as well, i.e. longer boomerang shaped ones. Stock shackles can bottom out on full spring stuff and bend the leaves.

I would have mentioned but honestly I'm not sure. Im kinda busy replacing motor in my Eclipse so I haven't had A LOT of time to look at the Jeep. But Im looking at the shackle and it looks aftermarket. Not quite sure yet.
But thanks for the help guys. I guess Ill just look at new lift leaf packs for it.

what does the fact that he was driving a mazda with a chevy engine in it have to do with the rest of the story?

I hate to be the "newbie douchebag" but if you aren't going to help and just made a semi-smartass comment please leave thread.

Maybe because it was low enough to see the shock come loose! :dunno:

and yeah that kinda adds to it. I mean, were he in another lifted jeep or anything else probably wouldnt have noticed, cuz it wasnt dragging. He could just see that it was at an odd angle and was more thank likely loose.

I would have mentioned but honestly I'm not sure. Im kinda busy replacing motor in my Eclipse so I haven't had A LOT of time to look at the Jeep. But Im looking at the shackle and it looks aftermarket. Not quite sure yet.
But thanks for the help guys. I guess Ill just look at new lift leaf packs for it.

I hate to be the "newbie douchebag" but if you aren't going to help and just made a semi-smartass comment please leave thread.

I'm guessing, but you can probably measure the eye length and see if that's a stock piece or not.
Don't hate man, or be a douche. Sometimes people crack a joke to get a laugh.

Originally Posted by veedubshafer

id say get used to it seems to be a reality
and if noone else mentioned it shocks do nothing to support the vehicles weight unless there air shocks

Back