• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto Console Shifter Bezel

jeddins

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for a shifter bezel for my '87 and was wondering what the difference was with the newer ones. Are they mechanically the same and simply cosmetic differences or will they not work at all? The team Cherokee website has one that says 88-91 but it looks exactly like mine. The 92-96 looks cosmetically different but same dimensions, but the snaps may be in different locations. There isn't a picture of the underside.

As for the shifter knob, just yank it off? I heard they're supposed to just snap on and off. Thanks in advance!

To remove the shifter just stick it in the 1-2 position, and pull really hard.

I dunno if different year bezels will work, I remember that a 93 one looked similar to my 87, but I really am not sure which one is in there now :)

when you say in there now, you may have the 93 and 87 mixed up? I'm just worried about functionality, not looks. If they interchange that's all I need to know.

I've interchanged them - from small shifter to large console. The PRNDL window snaps in and out on both levers. Manuals fit too. It's very interchangeable on that style console.

Yes, and hard pull does remove the auto shift handle - but the plastic gripper ring will break fingers. Good luck.

When pulling that shifter handle off, keep your noggin out of the way....if it's the first time that shifter handle has been off, it may not let go without a lot of force...and smacking yourself in the head with the handle hurts like the dickens! Ask me how I know :D

To get the handle off, I push the button in and tap upward with a rubber mallet. That way, you don't have to worry about hitting yourself in the head, like these other guys. :laugh3:

To get the handle off, I push the button in and tap upward with a rubber mallet. That way, you don't have to worry about hitting yourself in the head, like these other guys. :laugh3:

I tried that once...I only managed to smash my fingers a few times...of course I followed that with smacking myself in the head :D

I've got the entire bezel assembly from a 92+ in my 90. Fits and works fine. The only differance I noticed was the style of lettering for one of the gears (I think it was 1/2) and the slide for the shift lever.

87 is kind of a bastard year for the XJ, since it was the first year of the 4.0L in a Xj so 99% of items are interchangeable even if they say 88-xx

when you say in there now, you may have the 93 and 87 mixed up? I'm just worried about functionality, not looks. If they interchange that's all I need to know.

Yes I believe I have a 93 bezel in my 87.

Cool, I ordered the 88 and up bezel. Mine is actually fine but the center slider part is missing. I'm mounting some ARB switches so I figured now would be a good time to get a new bezel. After I break it in half trying to cut the holes I can always revert back to the original. Does anyone know where I can get some rectangular drill bits? :)

Guaranteed I'll hit my head, I rarely make it out of the garage (or anywhere come to think of it) without knocking the hell out of myself. Comes with being too tall for ones own good.

Essentially the bezels remained the same, 84-96 the housing was identical. The only thing that really changed was the clear plastic piece and the "strip" that the shifter sticks up through.

1984-1986 had the bezel for the older transmission with the shift pattern
P R N D 2 1- obviously stay away from that if you have an AW4.

1987-1990 bezels were the crappy thin plastic strip design and the first to have
P R N D 3 1-2.

1991-1994? had the stronger "stepped plastic" strip design.

1995-1996 were very similar to the early 90s, they had the "stepped" design again, and they also had an updated font of the letters.

A 1991+ style is preferred because that thin plastic strip likes to tear pretty easily. What you ordered will work awesome.

Back