• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project XJ Wrangler

mcantar18c

NAXJA Forum User
I've got this up on another forum, but someone suggested posting it on here...

05-09-09 12:33 AM

Alright, now that summer's almost here and I finally have enough time to put this into action, it's time for a build thread.

Done so far: Replaced catalytic converter, replaced exhaust header, added the first 2 aux lights.

Still to do: Hook up the stereo, get wipers to work, repair door hinges, lift it, bigger tires, trim fenders, build roof rack, build winch bumper, build rear bumper, make custom intake, attach the e-brake, replace rear u-joints, replace engine mounts, D44 front and back, custom dash, change out carpet for bed liner, swap stock seats for racing seats and buckets in back, hood vents, make doors removable, add cupholders, build 6 point cage, add unibody supports, make top removable... and more as I think of it.

05-09-09 4:14 PM

Alright, pics of the Jeep thus far...

1993 2 Door, 5 speed manual, 160k, original paint in great condition, D30 front, D35 rear, driver's door hinges are torn from the frame, won't pass emissions.
IMG_0172.jpg

Back at the house with dad's Grand Wagoneer in the background
Pc246194.jpg

PO threw a 2" BB on it
PC246193.jpg

31" Yokohama Geolander A/T-S on 16" Rubi's
PC246206.jpg

100_0161.jpg

Only problem with the seats, the passenger and rear bench are pretty clean
PC246209.jpg

Nice stereo deck. Woulda been nice if the PO had finished whatever he was doing with the wiring instead of leaving it in a cluster****
PC246210.jpg

Driver's door is about 1" off cause of the hinges
100_0156.jpg

DSC01415.jpg

05-09-09 4:22 PM

First step was passing emissions.
Started out by replacing the catalytic converter (sorry, no pics).
Then had to replace the exhaust header.

Problem:
100_0132.jpg

100_0131.jpg

Solution:
100_0118.jpg

100_0135.jpg

Here's the writeup for that, incase you need it.

Then the fun stuff...

Poor-man's quick discos (temporary):
100_0128.jpg

Added some aux lights:
100_0148.jpg

100_0149.jpg

100_0150.jpg

Relocated and painted my push-button ignition (PO installed):
100_0163.jpg

05-09-09 4:55 PM

I attempted to go doorless today.
I failed.

I've gut through the lower portion of all of the hinges, but I can't get them off cause the lip of the bracket is in the way and I don't know how to get them out.

My hi-tech spark shield. Patents pending.
100_0212.jpg

I just cut the wires to the speakers. They don't work anyway.
100_0218.jpg

The left two were used. The right is new and for comparison.
100_0220.jpg

And here's the problem. It's a bit hard to tell what's going on... the lip on the bracket is in the way. I can't get the dremel in there and I've tried the hammer/punch method.
100_0222.jpg

On a side note, I picked up a nice little CB for $10 at a garage sale on my way home today.
100_0225.jpg

100_0227.jpg

05-10-09 11:20 PM

Alright so I haven't been able to do too much today as I work the 9-5, but it was slow at work and I was extremely bored so...

I dug up and tore apart an old 2-stroke engine.

And, after lots of parts/carb cleaner and fine-grit sand paper, I came out with this
IMG_0051.jpg

And with a quick welding job (didn't bother cleaning it up, it won't be visible)
IMG_0052.jpg

I came out with this
IMG_0059.jpg

I took the pic on my phone, it really doesn't do it justice. It's a bit uncomfortable, but I think it looks pretty cool.

05-11-09 8:33 PM

So I got the stereo hooked up today. I think it's gonna look great on the black diamond plate steel I'll be making my custom dash with.

100_0229.jpg

100_0230.jpg

100_0231.jpg

I also picked up some seat covers at the auto store until I get the racing seats I'm planning on putting in. Looks good, IMO.
100_0232.jpg

05-12-09 9:12 AM

So lately while I'm driving, I can hear this popping/clanking sound coming from the back. It comes up when I come out of a stop and when I don't shift gears at the perfect moment (i.e. the driveshaft changes speeds quickly), which makes me think it's a u-joint.
Thoughts?

That's all of the relevant posts from the other forum.

I'd appreciate any and all info about your experiences with a project like this, and I'd especially like some input about that clanking noise.

sounds like u joint to me. i had a similar sound in one of my prior vehicles and it was the u joint- the needle bearings were no longer existant. checking it is easy. try to turn the driveshaft by hand (engine off, parking brake set/wheels chalked). watch the u joint as you turn the ds. there should be 0 play in it- meaning that the drive shaft should not turn more than the yoke on it. if there is play, the u joint needs to be replaced. might as well replace the other one on the ds for cheap insurance since your there.

sounds like u joint to me. i had a similar sound in one of my prior vehicles and it was the u joint- the needle bearings were no longer existant. checking it is easy. try to turn the driveshaft by hand (engine off, parking brake set/wheels chalked). watch the u joint as you turn the ds. there should be 0 play in it- meaning that the drive shaft should not turn more than the yoke on it. if there is play, the u joint needs to be replaced. might as well replace the other one on the ds for cheap insurance since your there.

Alright, thanks. I'll check it after work.

he mentioned " make top removable."
there you go first post its at the bottom

I'm glad some of us can read. :rolleyes:

That's all of the relevant posts from the other forum.

I'd appreciate any and all info about your experiences with a project like this, and I'd especially like some input about that clanking noise.

If you want to check out a bad ass soft top set up pm Rev Den about his he had a custom soft top made for his

so what happened to the door to rip the hinges.

and a tourch would take those hinges right off. :D

Well the PO said he opened the door while the drivers side was facing downhill, but that doesn't seem like that would cause this much damage, so I dunno.

If you want to check out a bad ass soft top set up pm Rev Den about his he had a custom soft top made for his

Will do, thanks for the tip. I want a soft top, but I haven't put too much thought into it yet as I'm still working out the numbers on the cage.

P.S. you all should get iphones, they're great. I'm sitting in genetics class as I type this.

Back