• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Swap

ddeadserious

NAXJA Forum User
I just blew my engine in my 93. I had a rod knock. Now I have a rod bouncing around in the engine. It's bad. I need a new engine. I'm fine with finding a used one but what years will fit. My engine had lots of blow by, so I just want another engine, no rebuild. So yeah, what years and from what vehicles(grand cherokee, tj, yj) will fit without changing too much other stuff?

p.s. I searched and couldn't find too much valuable information.

The engine you had can be swapped from any cherokee. Depends on what you are looking to get out of it. An engine from an 00/01 will be distributerless.

Any HO engine out of a yj, tj, or grand will work 91-99. 00' went to individual coil packs instead of the distributor. If you look at a 99' model make sure to stay away from the casting #0331 head instead look for a 0637 head...The 0331's are prone to cracking. You can locate the casting # on the driver's side between the #3 & #4 cylinders right beside the valve cover on the top of the head. It doesn't matter which year you use if it's obdI or obdII because you just use your old intake manifold and electronics. You may have to switch motor mount ears and a few other really minor things but you will have your old engine to pull what ever you might need off of it.

I figured I'd add to this post rather than starting a new one.

Here's a quote from the description of the engine I'll probably be getting. It's a 4.0 H.O. out of a 94 zj.
"I am asking $700 for everything

I am only asking $500 for motor w/accessories minus harness, fuel rail, ecm, & fuse block."

That's a pretty significant price difference. Do I need the harness, fuel rail, ecm, and fuse block? The only problem with my current engine is that the rod knock turned into a rod clanking around in the engine, along with major blowby.
thanks in advance,
Mike

ddeadserious said:
I figured I'd add to this post rather than starting a new one.

"I am asking $700 for everything

I am only asking $500 for motor w/accessories minus harness, fuel rail, ecm, & fuse block."

Mike

$500 for a complete motor doesn't sound bad, if it's in good shape. i'd say save your $200, maybe put it towards plugs, wires, filters, and cap-n-rotor. you shouldn't need any of that other stuff.

All you need to swap is the engine itself. You can reuse brackets, intake/exhaust manifolds (which includes the fuel rail) and all of your electrical harnesses and the ecm inside your XJ.

I bought a complete engine from a junkyard and ended up with extra everything. Save the cash and just get the engine.

Back