• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Splash-guard mat - where to buy, how to make?

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

I've a 1992 XJ 4.0 with auto tranny. Underneath the motor there is a (apparently) asbestos mat. I suspect that this provides splash guarding to the lower engine. My mat is old and is falling apart. I'd like to replace it.

I tried the local Jeep dealer but they say they can't order a new one. They even ordered the closest year but it wasn't the correct one.

Anyone know where to get a new mat?
Suggestions for a material to use to cut a new one from, using the old as a pattern? Something like outdoor carpet which can take the heat and oil...

Thanks!
Mike

ditch it since you live in California. Put a factory front skid on it to protect the alternator a little!

i dont think its asbestos

Try www.Jeepsareus.com

They have a replacement for about $28.00. Just follow the Jeep Cherokee / Parts & Accersories link.

I made a replacement one myself out of an old grocery store converyor belt that's a lot beefier.....

Lot of folks may say just remove it. I live in a rainy area, so water splashover is always getting into the engine bay. My testament to keeping the splashgaurd mat is that I have 139,000 miles on the stock alternator...YMMV

Conveyor belt is a great solution. Or, try the flooring mat that is heavy for commercial restaurants and such.

Anybody got a template for a 98 ? Mine is all ripped up, and hanging, one of those things I want to do next time it's up on a lift. Would like to use something heavier though.

Ok - lets ditch the fantasy the splash guard has anything to do with protecting the alternator fording streams. If it's deep enough to be underwater, it will be.

I know we all like to call it a splash guard. I suspect it doesn't do that much considering most splash comes from the tire's contact patches - which are behind it. The splash guard doesn't shield that at all, and that's the main source.

I think it's an air dam to assist air flow through the radiator core. Air cannot flow up from the pavement and reduce or interfere with air flow out of the core. It gets a straight shot out to bend around the engine and move on.

Take a long look and science it out.

Maybe it's just consecutive, but all my cooling problems started after it came off . . .

Ok - lets ditch the fantasy the splash guard has anything to do with protecting the alternator fording streams. If it's deep enough to be underwater, it will be.

I know we all like to call it a splash guard. I suspect it doesn't do that much considering most splash comes from the tire's contact patches - which are behind it. The splash guard doesn't shield that at all, and that's the main source.

I think it's an air dam to assist air flow through the radiator core. Air cannot flow up from the pavement and reduce or interfere with air flow out of the core. It gets a straight shot out to bend around the engine and move on.

Take a long look and science it out.

Maybe it's just consecutive, but all my cooling problems started after it came off . . .

I completely agree and should have called it an air dam. And the cooling observation is really interesting. Have you tried placing it back to see if there's a good correlation?

I completely agree and should have called it an air dam. And the cooling observation is really interesting. Have you tried placing it back to see if there's a good correlation?

I agree, anecdotal, mine was intact pretty much, when I had the engine replaced about 3 years ago and they made it even worse. I noticed that I was heating up more in summer, I attributed it to the engine or maybe I just needed to get off the stick and put that new rad I have in the shed in.

ditch it since you live in California. Put a factory front skid on it to protect the alternator a little!

Just exactly what do you think it means to live in California? We don't have water crossings? The worst water crossing I've ever done was the Mojave River in the springtime, we must have been pushed downstream 50 yards until we made it across! Thank God for Safari Snorkels!

That mat won't do crap for you if you need a snorkel to cross a river.

Well duh.... No more so than expecting a bicycle helmet to protect you from impacting a wall at 60 mph. I'll agree with you in that it won't do crap if you need to snorkle across a river; but then again, I don't have the submarine optioned XJ either; so I know my limitations...

As I stated, I live in rainy area in California. California is not all palm trees and 80 degree weather. Where I live the rainy season if from October to May, albeit it doesn't necessarily rain 24/7. Through in some snow in the winter to boot.

The mat I have is just one more layer of defence, but not an end all. It keeps wheel spray and underframe turbulence spray out of my engine bay. For me, it's cheap insurance for only $28. As I've mentioned, I still have my stock alternater going on a 139,000 miles.

Besides, what does it really hurt? It's not huge weight gain you have to carry around. It has to serve some purpose or Jeep would not have installed it in the first place, because it's not cosmetic by any means.....:viking:

I'm not so sure it keeps any spray out at all - consider that all water spray that transits the radiator wets the front of the block, and the alternator. Again, tire splash at the contact patch comes from behind - precisely where the mat isn't.

To the point, tho, a new mat can probably be purchased, used from the salvage yard, or fabbed/repaired from similar/existing materials. It can be done with a little resourcefulness. Using the same thickness and weight, plus the original mounting points would be best as the factory engineers at least discovered some of the unintended consequences and worked around them. It's definitely not a cheap polyethylene molded sheet. Hmmm.

The biggest problem seems to be ripping out the bolt holes from age and weight.

For me, since installing a three core open system, it runs too cold now, even with no shroud and a partially operating e-fan.

That mat won't do crap for you if you need a snorkel to cross a river.

Ya think? The point was directed at making assumptions concerning California. It is truly the one and only State that has it all. From dunes to mud to rocks and desert to tropical rain forest. Then again we also have lots of liberals, taxes, and gun laws that make no sense. But I digress.

That mat is there for a reason, not exactly sure what that reason is but mine is still there after all these years. I've repaired it by drilling small holes on each side of the various rips and cracks then running small zip ties through the holes to sort of form a "stitches" look. Works great, but now that I know I can get a new one, well...

Back