• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cross members

Anthropy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 XJ with the ax-15 5 speed trany and np231 t-case, 30 inch BFG T/A K/0 AT tires.

Well, last year, I sort of bent my cross member while trying to lift my jeep and using it as a lift point with my jack.

So, this year, I am thinking of replacing it.

The choices I found are Rusty's @ $119 http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product_Code=CM-100&Category_Code=xj_skid

or Quadratech's @ $160 http://www.quadratec.com/products/72027_700_07.htm

Any thoughts? Is the Quadratech worth the extra $40? I am keeping things mostly stock for now and don't off road, I just put up with snow and some crappy gravel roads in Iowa.

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited:
The rusty's one is not bad, the quadra tech one is not better.

Frequently as one starts modifying these vehicles crossmembers ar the key and critical modifications. the serve as the basis for a variety of suspensions, links, skidplates and similar things. It is a good idea to think about these things before rushing into replacing a crossmember that isn't totalled.

you can a good look into these considerations by using the search function, or by looking into virtually any thread in the advanced section.

If you aren't planning on going offraoding then I would just go a a junk yard and pick up a used stock crossmember

I have the rustys unit and its more than adequate for the type of wheeling I do, the stock member will bend very easily. I also have it working with a stock transfer case skid, which is ok, but rusty makes a skid that bolts right to it

Thanks everyone. No rock crawling around here. I went ahead and ordered the TNT one. I had looked at it, but the picture on their website does not do a very good job of showing it off.

Goofy question. When I remove my old cross member, can I just support my T-case with a 2x6 between it and my floor jack to hold it up while I pull the cross member, or do I need to do something else?

Back