• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway bar bolt

dan9891

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a couple steps away from finally finishing my 6.5 inch lift!!!! But of course there's a problem... The sway bar bolt that connects to the frame doesn't seem to want to come out. I've heard it pressed in the real good and is a pain to remove, but seriously I have been PB blasting it and hammering the hell out of it. The frame itself is starting to bend now.. Does anybody have any idea? Another method?

sway bar bolt that connects to the frame? do you mean the sway bar bushing mount(2 bolts) that connects to the frame? or do you mean the sway bar endlink bolt that connects to the axle?

The sway bar end link that connects to a piece of frame that comes off the axle. I'm trying to put in a sway bar disconnect so I need this bolt removed for a new one.

the swaybar endlink on my 89 is not pressed into the axle endlink bracket, but on the later models they are(btw, what year is yours). so if you cant pound it out, try heat or a puller. if you have a c-clamp, take a socket slightly larger then the head of the pressed in pin, put the socket over the head of the pressed in pin and adjust the c-clamp jaw so it rests on the socket and end of the pin. turn the clamp until tight, hit endlink braket near the pin with a hammer, tighten c-clamp even more, hit with hammer, repeat until pressed pin pops into socket and c-clamp falls to the ground.

The sway bar end link that connects to a piece of frame that comes off the axle. I'm trying to put in a sway bar disconnect so I need this bolt removed for a new one.

A piece of the frame that comes off the axle? I'm confused! :confused:

edit: ok i see whats going on now thanks to 89xj's post!

A piece of the frame that comes off the axle? I'm confused! :confused:

edit: ok i see whats going on now thanks to 89xj's post!

you were just as confused as i was, as there is no piece of the FRAME that comes off the axle when talking about the swaybar

i only understood when he said he was trying to put on new disconnects. most likely got confused because of frustration when installing the lift. happens to all of us when things dont go right.

A pitman arm puller will work for this applacation place hook end of puller around the sway bar bracket and tighten the puller it will push the bolt right out.Easy as faling off a log.

Back