• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No driveshaft slip yoke? SYE?

1985xjlaredo

NAXJA Forum User
So the rear output shaft seal is leaking on my "new" 88. It has the BA 10 and a 231. I was looking at it and realized that there is no slip yoke in the drive shaft. Does this mean that there Is a SYE installed? The is a piece bolted to the rear of the t case that is about 5-7 inches long.

The slip yoke usually slides into the transfercase... If a yoke is bolted to the output shaft has a fixed (bolted) yoke then you have a sye. Best idea would be to take a couple pictures so we can better help with the exact answer.
-chad

So the rear output shaft seal is leaking on my "new" 88. It has the BA 10 and a 231. I was looking at it and realized that there is no slip yoke in the drive shaft. Does this mean that there Is a SYE installed? The is a piece bolted to the rear of the t case that is about 5-7 inches long.

a sye puts the slip in the driveshaft. a slip yoke is exactly that, the drive shaft yoke slips out of the end of the transfercase.

unless you bought the a llifted/modified jeep, you most likely have a slip yoke, not a SYE.

Ok I just didnt know what I was looking at. I do have a slip yoke. Time to change the seal I guess thanks again :)

Back