• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle bushings the same?

funvtec

NAXJA Forum User
looking to replace all of my front axle bushings trying to rid myself of a wobble at 55 mph. 88 cherokee 4.0 i've already replaced the stabilizer and the shocks had the tires balanced and threw on a new track bar. im curious if the control arm bushings on the axle side are the same as the control arm themselves? do i need a set of four for the uppers and a set of four for the lowers?

thanks

Yes!

yes, you need 4 upper control arm bushings and 4 lower control arm bushings

the lca bushings are larger then uca bushings.

Have you crawled under there and had someone crank the wheel back-n-forth while you look at and feel all the tie rod ends and steering components? You need to rule out slop elsewhere. Is the alignment, particularly toe-in, good? Thats easy enough to measure with a tape measure.

You may find it easier and/or cheaper to replace the whole arms. http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/cgi-bin/partsSQL/search.cgi?query=control+arm&catid=95. They also have a urethane kit, but they tend to add harshness and occassional squeaks.

Have you crawled under there and had someone crank the wheel back-n-forth while you look at and feel all the tie rod ends and steering components? You need to rule out slop elsewhere. Is the alignment, particularly toe-in, good? Thats easy enough to measure with a tape measure.

You may find it easier and/or cheaper to replace the whole arms. http://www.teamgrandwagoneer.com/cgi-bin/partsSQL/search.cgi?query=control+arm&catid=95. They also have a urethane kit, but they tend to add harshness and occassional squeaks.

yeah ive crawled under and checked things. steering looks tight but feels sloppy. its an 88 with almost 180 on the clock i dont expect much. i just picked up a boat and this will be doing some freeway driving so i just wanna make sure things dont wobble when i have a trailer on it. i figure if this doesnt do the trick ill take it in and have the steeering gone through. the tires are wearing very evenly with no checking or odd wear patterns so i figured id go for the control arms. I also thought it might be cheaper to just replace the arms but local stores have the bushings for $6.99 each. The uppers are a bit more but still cheaper than the arm. This isnt my daily driver and its rusty as hell so i'm just trying to keep things as cheap as possible.

Back