• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How bad are my control arm angles?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
Installing a new lift/axles and I'm in a bind. I have a 1.75" spacer I put in to compensate for my winch bumper and add a little lift with my old lift, but I don't think my RE springs will sag quite as much. I figured I'd keep them in because my buddys RE kit lifts more in the back (it's really obvious) and he has spacers up front (like .5") so I figured my 1.75" spacers would even it out.

Anyways, I can pull them, but I'd have to take my axle off again...so do you guys think it'll be THAT bad? A.K.A. Can I drive/wheel this and not die/f'ck stuff up?

jeepcontrolarms.jpg

EDIT: This picture was with the axle jacked up, both front and rear is tire less/on jack stands. I jacked up the axle enough to lift it from the stands up front so some weight is on them.

~Scott

wow. FIX it asap. must ride like @$$. drop brackets at the least. that will also limit your flex

wow. FIX it asap. must ride like @$$. drop brackets at the least. that will also limit your flex

If you read what I wrote you'd see I haven't driven it...as it has no rear axle (getting an 8.8) and my front shafts aren't in.

Good to see I'm not crazy for thinking it was pretty bad though.

~Scott

I see a jackstand.....the body isn't being lifted higher is it? That is ride height?

I thought my angles with 7" and adjustable arms was bad! I've got RC drop brackets now.....alot better.....

I want your tires.

I see a jackstand.....the body isn't being lifted higher is it? That is ride height?

I thought my angles with 7" and adjustable arms was bad! I've got RC drop brackets now.....alot better.....

I want your tires.

The Jeep is completely on jack stands, but for this picture I jacked up the axle till the front was floating just off the jack stands and took a picture. I'm hoping when it's all level it will not be so bad but I doubt it. I'm running 4.5" RE springs and a 1.75" spacer (stacked on top of two stock isolaters).

~Scott

.so do you guys think it'll be THAT bad?
No its not THAT bad...its terrible.

Drop brackets are your friend. Do them now before you get it all back together, and find out it rides terribly, then have to put it back on jackstands. With the angles like that, all force of going over a bump will be directed straight through the arm and back into the uni-frame. You'll wear out bushings fast, and have a harsh ride. The DBs will get the arms more parallel with the ground, and thus the force of a bump will be absorbed by the spring and shock as the arm will be able to travel upwards.

Also with those angles, its a lot easier for the axle to be "pushed" under the vehicle.

Heck Scott, it looks like you have more lift in the front now than I do now. I've got a set of non-adjustable lower control arms, that have the clearance bends you can have for free if you want them. My old set up was a lot rougher than the LA and I think most of that came from the steep angle but I wheeled it that way for 2 years and I didn't have adjustable uppers. I like those tires too :laugh3:!!!

I ran my 3.5" re springs with 2" spacers for about 2 and a half years and it was pretty rough. But last weekend i put in my acos and started my rc dropbrackets. I cant wait to feel how much better the ride is. The drop brackets were only $209 shipped.

That is a bad angle, I would put on RCX Drop brackets. It just so happens that I am selling my RCX Drop Brackets (new never installed). My ride was terrible, but a better angle than yours. Instead, I am pulling my lift and selling it. Going back to stock height for awhile. I am serious about selling my Drop Brackets, they are brand new, never installed. If interested, email me [email protected] I will make you a better deal than $209 shipped. Way better. THX.
peace

Damn i wish i knew you had brackets lol. oh well. I guess i wont tell my girlfriend. she got them for me. cause she drives the jeep alot too and didnt like the rough ride

^sounds like the way to go!

On the other hand I've never heard of anybody lowering a rig (from being big...not talking about these ricer pansy's that are a penny a dozen) unless they were transfering the schit to a new rig. Sad story!

Alright just confirming. If you look at my post count you'll see I've done my share of researching. I knew my angles were bad just wanted to confirm they're as bad as I thought. I pulled my spacers and it's about 2 inches of less lift = somewhat better angle.

If I didn't owe money for my e-locker/ 8.8/ 4.88 gears...I'd be all over drop brackets, as well as an SYE...but right now unless it's crazy cheap I can't do much.

~Scott

jeepproject1.jpg

There's a picture of my rig as of yesterday incase anyone was curious. (Tire's rolled under for refferance...but no rear axle/front shafts) I set it up so the tires are where they should be after sag.

~Scott

Back