• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head gasket job?

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys, I just found an XJ that has a blown head gasket, but is otherwise in great shape at a great price. It runs but cannot be driven more than a few miles in the current condition (overheats). It would be a 4 hour drive for me to get there.
Question: How big is this job? I don't have a manual as of yet so I can't just check in there...
I'm pretty competent with motors: Just replaced the H2O pump on cargo van, top end rebuild of a 1978 kz650 that now runs, etc. AND I have the torque wrenches and other tools.

Is this something that can be done in a parking lot in a couple hours? From the photos I've seen of the I6 it appears to be relatively clear of junk in the way.
Options:
Drive with tools, new gasket, etc; pull valve covers & cylinder head/valves, replace gasket;flush and replace antifreeze for fun; button up and drive home happy camper.
OR
Pass on it.
Sorry for the long post, I just NEED to find me an XJ!
Thanks

What year is the XJ? The 00 and 01's were prone to cracking and could present as a bad head gasket. it sounds like you're fairly comfortable with motors but it would suck to drive 4 hours, do the job in a parking lot only to find the head is cracked. If you do a search on the forum here you'll find lots of info on the notorious "weak" head....just my $.02

That would suck. This is 1996 XJ Sport. It sounds like people generally replace the head bolts at the same time as the gasket...These must like to corrode?
moz-screenshot.jpg

I definitely would not do that job in the parking lot.... when an engine over heats I can crack the head, and crack the valve seats. If you are going through the trouble to remote the head, you should have a valve job done on the head. When I removed the head from my jeep to replace the lifters I found a cracked exhaust valve seat. This crack likely occurred when someone put cold water in the engine when it was hot, the cracked valve seat is the first valve that the coolant would flow over as it comes into the head. It would take at least 6-8 hours to change the head gasket.. the most time consuming part is cleaning off the gasket material.. and I would hate to have to do that without power tools.. you will also need a torque wrench.. and to know all your torque ratings.

Thanks for the replies and advice. I think it's best to pass on this one and drop a little more money on something in better shape. That way I can focus my mechanical energy into fun stuff like suspension. I'll be sure to post some pics of my first xj once I find her...

x2, unless you know the seller personally they could just say it has a bad headgasket but really has a much deeper/bigger problem.......I have seen this alot. "Bad Head Gasket" actually turns out to be bent valves, cracked/warped head, etc......

It's a nice way to sell a vehicle though without saying it is perfect, I guess.

1978 kz650 that now runs, etc.

Man I miss my KZ. I regret selling it a few years ago. It was a 78 KZ650b1, which I later swapped in a 81 750 motor and carbs for $200. The old motor had 80k miles versus 4k on the 81 motor. The 750 had much better low rpm with a flatter torque curve so you didn't have to worry about keeping the rpms up, but it was more boring to ride. The 650 pulled decent up until 5 grand and then it was like the afterburners kicked in and you had to hang on for dear life well past the redline.

Okay, back on topic. This is a Jeep forum after all. If the head has been blown for a while and the oil contaminated with coolant, I would worry that the bearings are shot as well.

Back