• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear drum brake Backing plate?

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
Looks like I need a Rear drum brake Backing plate? Axle got bent in a fender bender, so did the backing plate and drum. Anyone know who sells these, other than the dealer?

Has any one ever straightened one back out successfully? THis one has two slight warped areas, about 1/2" at most (1/4" x 1/4" point to point across about 5-6" area, 23" from the flat area).

Calling dealer right now, if we still have one?:eyes:

Salvage yard

No go here, they want to sell the entire rear end as one piece here, $250. Have to pull the axle to get the backing plate off too, too much work, not enough time. Just wondering if any one has new ones anywhere, it is a DANA 35, year 1989. Don't see it at carparts.com or 4wd.com (has picture but no part number at 4wd.com).

Is the axle housing still straight? I'm just wondering if it go hit hard enough to bend the axle and backing plate.

3 of us examined the housing, at about 6 different angles with spotlights, and debated that for about an hour. Conclusion was the housing is OK. We based that on inspection of a sister vehicle with a good D35 rear, and on the fact that there was a thick, hard black coating on the housing that would have stressed and shown signs of stress cracking if the housing had bent. Backing plate was not too bad, and drum was hard to tell, but it had rubbed on the backing plate, it is cheap so it will get a new drum?

Found a new backing plate, last of 3 in a NH dealerships obsolete parts inventory, for $68.

It is really hard to tell visually if that area of the D35 housing is slightly bent, unless of course it is OBVIOUS!:D

Looks like the tire took the hit from the other vehicle, and lever arm did the rest, with bearing coushining the housing. Tire and cast aluminum wheel was undamaged too.

Post a "Wanted to Buy" Ad in the for sale section.

There are many here that converted to rear disc & have the parts you need just laying around the garage.
I just cleaned out my garage last month & Trashed all the rear drum parts :(

Post a "Wanted to Buy" Ad in the for sale section.

There are many here that converted to rear disc & have the parts you need just laying around the garage.
I just cleaned out my garage last month & Trashed all the rear drum parts :(

Thought I had already, but actually It was a complete axle assy wanted post, which is now obsolete as the housing passed inspection (for now anyway).

Well my daughters jeep is back on the road, working again.

The axle shaft was bent on the outboard side of the bearing.

Brake backing plate was bent, and badly warped.

I replaced the axle shaft, brake backing plate, bearing, grease seals, brake adjuster (it was old and teeth were too worn), and wheel cylinder (easier than moving an risking reusing the old one), and the rest was still OK.

The old brake drum and axle housing were still OK! :yelclap:

Update: Had to replace the old brake drum after all, as it was rubbing just a little on the new brake backing plate once the tire was bolted down. First new brake drum I bought at Autozone was WAY worse. I should have inspected it first. It was WAY of center on the machining, and obvious if I had looked first.

The second new drum from Autozone was perfect! No more rubbing, no more noises.

Brakes work great now.

Back