• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering problem.

f1tbiker6

NAXJA Forum User
alright well as of late if been having steering troubles. heres what happens. on turns the wheels start to wobble similar to death wobble but not as vigorous, and they dont break loose of the ground. however it seems to go away after 15 minutes of driving. i got it checked for alignment and it was fine, so i have no idea what could be causing it. and i dont have death wobble going straight at all.

Stock or lifted vehicle?

What have you already checked?

You may want to consider this...

I had the same problem w/my wife's stock '00. With the wheels facing straight I had no wobble but if I turned tight left or right it wobbled. To discribe the wobble it's like if I had it in 4wd on the asphalt and turned the wheel sharp left or right only not as violent 'bucking'. I checked everything in the front end and couldn't figure out what was causing it. Long story short: I had to replace the front brakes (everything) so I figured I'd change the axle u-joints since they were the originals. When I pulled the axles the u-joints were frozen up so much that I couldn't move them with out putting the axles in a vise. I changed the joints out for new ones and the problem went away. When the wheels were straight I couldn't feel the problem 'cause the u-joints don't move when the axle was straight but when I turned the wheel, the u-joints would bind and I was feeling that 'bucking' until I straighten out the wheel....

Does any of this make sense to you? I'm typing fast so my boss doesn't know I'm doing this instead of working...:eyes:

You may want to consider this...

I had the same problem w/my wife's stock '00. With the wheels facing straight I had no wobble but if I turned tight left or right it wobbled. To discribe the wobble it's like if I had it in 4wd on the asphalt and turned the wheel sharp left or right only not as violent 'bucking'. I checked everything in the front end and couldn't figure out what was causing it. Long story short: I had to replace the front brakes (everything) so I figured I'd change the axle u-joints since they were the originals. When I pulled the axles the u-joints were frozen up so much that I couldn't move them with out putting the axles in a vise. I changed the joints out for new ones and the problem went away. When the wheels were straight I couldn't feel the problem 'cause the u-joints don't move when the axle was straight but when I turned the wheel, the u-joints would bind and I was feeling that 'bucking' until I straighten out the wheel....

Does any of this make sense to you? I'm typing fast so my boss doesn't know I'm doing this instead of working...:eyes:

i think this is my problem exactly. it feels like its in 4wd, but not as much bucking. so i should swap in some new u-joints?

I'd bet a box of donuts that's your problem. I agree w/89xj. It will only take about an hour to pull both axles at most. Brake caliper and rotors come off and then 3 hub bolts and the shafts will slide out (with a tap or 2 from a hammer). Believe me, you will know when you take the axles out. My u-joints didn't feel loose or sloppy when I checked them in the Jeep. It was only when I took them out of the vehicle that I was able to tell they were seized up.

where can i get some new axle u-joints? link me?

you might be surprised, but auto parts stores carry axle u-joints. find a parts store that carries spicer.

i would rather support my local economy then purchase something as common as a ujoint over the internet.

i think this is my problem exactly. it feels like its in 4wd, but not as much bucking. so i should swap in some new u-joints?

Makes sense. I've seen driveshaft U joints frozen up by rust too. And front wheel drive cars wobble like that when the CV joints are going out. You won't be able to feel the problem until you pull the shaft out. Probably no grease fittings in the joints either. More cost reduction by manufacturers.

Back