• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'96 winshield washer

falcon556

NAXJA Forum User
I own a 96 XJ that has been great with one small exception that gets to my nerves.
The "low washer fluid" light comes on too early. The bottle is about half full and I start getting the light. I really don't care to keep it over half full all the time and the light is annoying.
I realize this is not a big problem, I was just wondering if anybody else had this and found a solution.

how about just unplug.

actually my 89 light comes on a 1/4 left, maybe change to an older bottle.

Same on my old 96. Unplugged it.

to cure the prob w/o doing anything hard, i make sure i just fill it up when the light starts flickering

Disconnect the sensor from the bottle, and bend the sensor arm down. :dunno:

In keeping with the other replies, Archimides suggests that you add one bag of marbles to the bottle.

Last edited:
Lou said:
Disconnect the sensor from the bottle, and bend the sensor arm down. :dunno:

In keeping with the other replies, Archimides suggests that you add one bag of marbles to the bottle.

I didn't know that there was an arm involved, I'll try it tomorow.

falcon556 said:
I didn't know that there was an arm involved, I'll try it tomorow.
I believe that there should be one -- reality may be a different matter alltogether. (how's that for talkin' out my backside?)

My '94 does it, too. I'm sure it's the same tank as your '96.

The sensor is at the top of the bottle, with a foam float that rises/falls depending on the level of the fluid. Unfortunately, I haven't found a good method to fix it. The tank needs baffles.

One could attempt to modify the buoyancy of the foam float, but for now, I'd rather just keep the thing topped off when it starts flashing. It would be a rather tedious job; a lot of trial-and-error (then again, what isn't trial-and-error on a Jeep?!)

I don't think the bottle on the pre-'91 models would swap over--it's not even on the same side of the engine as ours!

iBran said:
My '94 does it, too. I'm sure it's the same tank as your '96.

The sensor is at the top of the bottle, with a foam float that rises/falls depending on the level of the fluid. Unfortunately, I haven't found a good method to fix it. The tank needs baffles.

One could attempt to modify the buoyancy of the foam float, but for now, I'd rather just keep the thing topped off when it starts flashing. It would be a rather tedious job; a lot of trial-and-error (then again, what isn't trial-and-error on a Jeep?!)

I don't think the bottle on the pre-'91 models would swap over--it's not even on the same side of the engine as ours!

I'll check tomorrow, if there is nothing to bend I'll pull the plug.
I had enough of it.

I just read a thread by ECKSJAY where he glued a new piece of foam to the assembly to fix a different problem.....maybe just glue a piece of foam to the bottom of the existing float.

Lou said:
I just read a thread by ECKSJAY where he glued a new piece of foam to the assembly to fix a different problem.....maybe just glue a piece of foam to the bottom of the existing float.

never thought about that one, is there enough room to put styro foam under the sensor?:yelclap:

'96 here too.
The switch is an odd design, probably necessary for waterproofing. The float appears to be resin encapsulated, or perhaps even made of aerated resin. Bending the switch is not an option, but epoxying a more buoyant substance in place of the current float (or in addition to) appears to be a viable option (if the epoxy will stand long-term submersion). Substituting a weaker magnet may also help, as the switch appears to actuate about halfway through its travel range, rather than upon contact. A lighter magnet would be useful as well, as it would increase the relative buoyancy of the float over the fulcrum.

lilredwagn said:
Substituting a weaker magnet may also help, as the switch appears to actuate about halfway through its travel range, rather than upon contact. A lighter magnet would be useful as well, as it would increase the relative buoyancy of the float over the fulcrum.

Is it possible to remove, grind and reinstall the magnet?
It would make it weaker and lighter.

in my 1994 it has a washer fluid bottle that says 1992 on it. Dont know if they are the same bottle or not or if somebody just put it in there.

falcon556 said:
Is it possible to remove, grind and reinstall the magnet?
It would make it weaker and lighter.
That was what I was thinking, but unfortunately I wasn't actually thinking very well when I said that - from a second glance, it would seem that a lighter magnet would do just the opposite - that is, decrease the relative buoyancy. I don't believe it will make a significant difference either way. The magnet is not encased, and I was able to just push it out using the probe from a multimeter. I think I'm going to put it back and look at replacing or otherwise modifying the float instead.

Last edited:
Back