• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25" Spanner Tool Dimensions?

vt98xj

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have some gear whine after a offroading trip and I believe the spanner nut backed off a little causing increased backlash in the rear end, I need the spanner tool in order to adjust it.

I was hoping someone could measure the end of the spanner tool that is used to adjust the adjuster nut in the 8.25 rearend, I am a broke college student and I can make it in the Machine shop here at school for a couple bucks compared to....
http://completeoffroad.com/i-122848-chrysler-spanner-tool-9-14-8-147-14-yt-ao6.html

I'm very sure its a 1-1/8" (OD) nut that will fit into the spanner but I could measure mine to be sure. I made 2 spanner tools for the 8.25 out of some black pipe, 2 nuts, and 2 short 1/2" drive extensions. Welded it all up and it works great, thats been 7 years ago.

A front hub nut fits the adjuster. Pretty sure it's 36mm. JIM.

If you torqued the bearing caps to spec, and installed the locking tang, there is no way the bearing adjuster came out of adjustment.

Do you want a spanner (spans two holes and fits in the holes along the outside of the adjuster), or the adjuster tool that goes in though the axle tube and fits the hex opening in the adjuster?

There was a thread not too long ago, probably about a week, where someone, IIRC it was Goatman, posted a link on how to make your own adjuster tool.

When I changed my pinion bearings, I used a spanner from a HF grinder that I had laying around to adjust the preload without going through the axle tube.

I have to diagnose what the problem is in my rear end, I want to have all the tools ready incase I have to do a rebuild.

I went wheeling and got stuck in a mud hole, backing out I think I shockloaded the passenger side wheel at the end of the hole. Then on the way home about 10-15 minutes into the trip I started getting loud gear whine going down the highway. So my guess is either the pinion depth changed (crush sleeve) or the carrier lost some of the preload causing an increase or decrease in backlash.

Here's the adjuster I made.
HPIM1008.jpg

HPIM1009.jpg

JIM.

A front hub nut fits the adjuster. Pretty sure it's 36mm. JIM.
it's 36 mm, you're correct.

for reference...
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=984767

i made my own tool out of a bent stock tie rod that was straight enough and welded a nut on one end and a bolt in the other. it was my first welding project ever in a pinch. hasn't broken yet :gee:

I have to diagnose what the problem is in my rear end, I want to have all the tools ready incase I have to do a rebuild.

I went wheeling and got stuck in a mud hole, backing out I think I shockloaded the passenger side wheel at the end of the hole. Then on the way home about 10-15 minutes into the trip I started getting loud gear whine going down the highway. So my guess is either the pinion depth changed (crush sleeve) or the carrier lost some of the preload causing an increase or decrease in backlash.
that makes it sound more like you blew a seal and got some mud in the diff. retaining nuts can't really move because they not only have keepers, but they've got super fine thread (16 tpi and they are like 3" dia or so). i'd say open it up and change the fluid and inpsect things before you go screwing with gear setup.

Last edited:
it's 36 mm, you're correct.

for reference...
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=984767

i made my own tool out of a bent stock tie rod that was straight enough and welded a nut on one end and a bolt in the other. it was my first welding project ever in a pinch. hasn't broken yet :gee:

that makes it sound more like you blew a seal and got some mud in the diff. retaining nuts can't really move because they not only have keepers, but they've got super fine thread (16 tpi and they are like 3" dia or so). i'd say open it up and change the fluid and inpsect things before you go screwing with gear setup.

I already changed the fluid and it was full of water along with gear oil, I didn't have a dial indicator hand at the time so I didn't get a chance to measure the backlash. It does sound like gear whine (not a bearing) it is also when load is applied or held, when coasting there is no noise. I drove it for maybe 10 minutes with the new fluid and there was no change.

Back