• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frt axle inner seal change

Cherokeester

NAXJA Forum User
Can the frt diff-gear be removed w/o using the spreader-tool for the diff-housing? Any recommendations on making the seal replacement or diff-gear removal painless? Have replaced many a frt u-joint so am experienced at frt end work but never removed diff-gear B4. Thx!

Ive done a couple 4x4 trucks without a spreader. Ive seen guys use a big C clamp also.Its very snug but not impossible to pry out, just use finesse. Just make sure you put the bearing caps on the same way/side/top/bottom they came off. Seals are easy once its apart. Nothing like 4 hours work to replace a $2.50 item.

Do you use the C-clamp to Squish the housing a bit to reduce close fit against the carrier brgs?
But yeh, I hear ya! The dealers quote $400 to $600 for the job! Thx for info.

I had my inner axle seals and pinion seal replaced on my 98 XJ. The local 4wd shop said that they didn't need to use a housing spreader on that job. They did the whole thing, both axles seals, pinion seal and set the gears back up for just at $400.00 parts & labor. I felt it was a pretty good deal for what is involved.

Back