• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

E Brake Locker (?)

2001XJ-32

NAXJA Forum User
So went wheeling with a group yesterday led by Cruiserhead, Terry, who told me about a trick to lock your front by merely pulling up the emergency brake one click. Supposedly, with a limited slip dif, this fools the computer into locking the front.

I tried it up a challenging section and went up the rocks like butter. The guys watching said that I didn't spin either front tire.

Can someone explain to me if this is valid and what is happening with the computer?

Seamed sweet to me!

Thank you,

Cole

He is BSing you, even if he thinks he is telling the truth. The computer has nothing to do with the axles on our type of vehicle, not even the t-case. Dragging the brakes sometimes helps if you have open diffs but rarely, it is good for breaking the spider gears if you really force the issue lol.

I agree, this is all BS. As outlander said, the computer has nothing to do with your axles. XJ's are open diff front and rear, so there is nothing to lock no matter what.

The ebrake is just a cable going to the rear wheels, and has no electrical connections or anything. This is because it is a stand alone system; if your car stops working, and you have no electrical (i.e. no computer) you need to be able to pull this lever and apply brakes.

What he is talking about is the rear. You pull the e-brake just right and there is more pressure on the brakes than the difference between the 2 rear tires (why they are slipping w/ a open case or limmited slip to begin with) and it causes the carrier to send power to the tire that is hardest to spin (the one that wasnt spinning before). It doesnt work all the time, but in a lot of situations it will work. Its the only way I can wheel my little xj 1x4 wheel drive. 2wd w/ an open case.

what your friend is talking about is applying equal resistance to the spinning wheel as the stuck wheel.

if one wheel is spinning, its because the other has more traction/resistance than the free spinning wheel.
if you apply the brakes, you can equalize the resistance (to a point) which causes both wheels to spin.

it can help, sometimes, on open carriers. I shoed my buddy how to use it on his 2wd sonoma to get moving on some ice in my drive way... other than that, well it never got me out of any stucks in the past.

Yes, the brake and gas method can work sometimes.

Other times, you will blow up your spider gear, and have a fun time getting home.

The first time I tried this, I blew up the spiders in my D30. On the backroad back to the where people had parked their trailers, driving only 15mph, I drove off the road 3 times because the spiders wouldn't be able to mesh, and lock up. (You know, you need one tire to travel faster on turns, and this couldn't happen) I ended up having to trailer my Jeep home. I've heard of others experiencing this same thing.

If you could do individually to each wheel it could really help. Landrover uses this and the ABS does all the work IIRC. Its also how the Quadratrac in the WJs works as well I believe. However it doesn't work on the XJ much more basic.

I agree, this is all BS. As outlander said, the computer has nothing to do with your axles. XJ's are open diff front and rear(or some have LS in the rear), so there is nothing to lock no matter what.

The ebrake is just a cable going to the rear wheels, and has no electrical connections or anything. This is because it is a stand alone system; if your car stops working, and you have no electrical (i.e. no computer) you need to be able to pull this lever and apply brakes.

Fixed! :D

Yes it has nothing to do with any computers. And the ebrake only has anything to do with the back wheels. But I have done this before, and gotten through something I could not without doing so. I have an LSD in the back.

On my Jeep the front locks by pressing in the cigarette lighter.
Thats only on the 97-01 XJ, older ones you had to have the hazard flashers on, wipers on high and be in 2wd then the front would lock.
:wierd:

Sometimes if your locker doesn't work, although this is rather rare since it is a sealed unit, the locking solenoid actuator fluid may be low. Sometimes the orings get brittle after many years of service, especially if the locker is used on a frequent basis. Special order formula only from the dealership unfortunately......a pretty penny too. Although some have used straight 30 weight oil as a substitute without any known side effects.

Nominated

What other vehicles were there? Are there vehicles with and electronically activated limited slip?
Many with brake actuated limited slip/traction control. The newest Land Cruiser (probably older as well), Land Rovers, XTerras (I'm fairly certain) use individual brake actuation to control wheel spin. Mind you, that requires it to be there factory...:)

Back