• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rotella T builds sludge?

rockjockphatts

NAXJA Forum User
I'm opening a big can of worms I'm sure...

I heard today that Rotella T, with regular usage, may lead to increased sludge build up in a gasoline engine. (I'm assuming in the oil pan)

I was under the impression that Rotella T did the opposite in that the increased level of detergents in the oil thinned sludge (especially under the valve cover) and help clean components. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this idea that it builds sludge?

i believe diesel engine oil has more detergents in it than gas engine oil. i had a good amount of sludge in my 4.0 before i started using rotella. now there is noticeably less sludge in the valve cover (looking in with a flashlight). i have been using rotella for over a year and a half now along with a NAPA wix filter 1515.

I heard it too on the Spike TV channel, one on the Power Block shows. I didn't pay no never mind to it, I have been running Rotella T for 2-3 years and it has cleaned the motor more than anything.

i've ran rotella in many of my vehicles, and had absolutely no problems with sludge or oil pressure, so whoever you heard this from is full of the stuff that comes from a bulls butt.....

Sounds like it depends on vehicle. With some I could see why it could, but our 4.0s are probably as close to diesels as far as using oil anyways. haha.

Regarding source: Spike TV on Muscle Car I believe. The gentleman referred to Rotella as a good oil to use during break-in, but said that one should not use it for regular use due increased levels of sludge build-up that will result becuase it was a diesel oil. However, he did not say what causes the increased levels of sludge, just that higher levels will result.

I've never heard this before, not that what's on TV is boss, but I figured since I've never heard this fact before I'd thought I'd sound off here. Since I've been running Rotella's 10w30 for the past 9 months...with no problems

My son told me that -as he was watching the show-I don.t know what engine they were refering too but I bet is was one of these new Sewing Machine motors( OHC-4 valve.roller lifter things) not our old dinosour motors.
I have run Rotella T for years motor has 294,000 on it and is clean top and bottom.

Wayne

Spike TV channel, one on the Power Block shows

A prime source of mechanical expertise - a video entertainer. I'd sooner trust Click and Clack.

With the higher levels of detergent to control larger amounts of bypass soot, it'll be really counterintuitive that a gas fired motor would build up more sludge than the typical diesel. I believe somebody is logic challenged: diesels have sludge, diesels use Rotella, therefore Rotella causes sludge.

I could also say, diesels have sludge, diesels have NAFTA drivers, therefore drivers from NAFTA countries cause sludge.

Be very careful of entertainers who spout poorly backgrounded stuff churned out by scriptwriters who are paid by execs looking to sell add space to Rotella's competitors. It sounds like the classic agenda comment to me. We get enough misinformation about guns and crime already. I call BS on this.

'89 4.0 with 183,xxx miles. Maintenance history unknown prior to Jan. 2008.
I've been running the diesel flavor Rotella for a little over a year. I finally got around to changing the valve cover gasket a couple weeks ago. I was all prepared to spend a good chunk of the afternoon scraping and cleaning things out, but only needed to wipe things down before reassembly. Never opened it up before, so I can't say if the Rotella cleaned it or not. I can say that it has created no sludge up top.

Yeah, I've been using it for nearly 3 years now...no issues.

Here an excerpt from the Rotella T website...

Applications

* Heavy-duty diesel and mixed fleets in all types of< over-the-road service, including engines with EGR
* Recommended for diesel-powered equipment, including those powered by Caterpillar, Cummins, Detroit Diesel, Mack, Mercedes-Benz, International and Volvo engines in all types of service
* Many gasoline engines, especially the hard-working engines of pickup trucks, sport-utility vehicles (SUVs), minivans and motorcycles
* Passenger cars, light trucks, farm equipment, forklifts and assorted stationary equipment with automotive type LPG- or LNG-fueled engines where ashless or low-ash oils are not specified by the manufacturer

I'm opening a big can of worms I'm sure...

I heard today that Rotella T, with regular usage, may lead to increased sludge build up in a gasoline engine. (I'm assuming in the oil pan)

I was under the impression that Rotella T did the opposite in that the increased level of detergents in the oil thinned sludge (especially under the valve cover) and help clean components. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this idea that it builds sludge?

That's total
Topes.gif

The show was horsepower TV. They did a rebuild on a 455 big block with flat tappett cam and he was talking about how modern oils have less zinc and phosphorus and how it is bad for the flat tappett cams. He said Shell Rotella oil causes sludge build-up, royal purple break in oil has the additives but can only be used for break-in and then proceeded to show an oil that was provided by the guy who machined the engine for them. I was waiting for them to show an oil that is readily available at any auto part store but it turned out to be a product placement ad for their engine builder.

I have to agree on this being BS. I don't run Rotella, but i do run Delo 400, another supposed diesel oil. Going on the 9th year now, at over 260K miles.
I know when I pulled the head off 2 years ago to replace the head gasket (chasing a overheating problem) i could still read all the casting/stamping numbers anywhere in the head. Absolutely no signs of sludge anywhere, not even in the valve cover baffles. I did clean the baffles shortly after swapping to the Delo, so they started clean, but after 7 years they showed no signs of sludge buildup. And I would think the baffles would be the one place it would show up.

Dingo

Is the 4.0L a 'hardworking' engine?

they do wear the cyl walls pretty bad compared to most asian engine of the same mileage. i run the syntheric rotella for years and i think its the best one for the motor.

ive owned my 89 since 90 and put about 175K on it by 2000-01. i was up in the air about getting a new vehicle or fix up my xj and continue to drive it. decide to fix it up with a new suspension and clean up the engine and add some upgrades. i had terrible blow by and oil leaks every where although it still ran very well. i did basic maintneance in those previous years and fixed anything that went wrong. when i opened up the top end and bottom end, i had 1/4" layer of oil/sludge on the valve cover and a 1/2" oil/sludge in the oil pan. i cleaned them up, cleaned the rocker assembly, fixed the ccv system, and replaced the rms, oil adapter o-rings, and valve cover gaskets.

since then, ive used a few different types/brands of oil but for the past 3-4 years ive been using rotella t and have recently switch to the rotella synthetic. now i have no oil/sludge buildup and the oil is still a golden brownish color when i change the oil, not black, as it was before i cleaned everything up.

im sure in the years previous to 2001, i did neglect to change the oil on a regular basis and did beat the xj up pretty good. IIRC, i normally used castrol gtx for a better part of those years.

today i take better care of the xj because im trying to run it until it breaks down, but with the use of rotella, clean ccv system, and a better maintenance schedule, the internals are cleaner then they ever were.

so, im not sure if it was the lack of regular oil changes or using gastrol gtx that caused the blow by and sludge, but with regular oil changes and using rotella, i have very little blow by and clean internals.

Back