• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will an xj engine fit a wj?

xjennyj

NAXJA Forum User
The 4.0 engine in my 2000 wj died but I found a 4.0 engine from a 2001 xj. Will there be huge issues with this swap?

It will fit, but you may have problems with the electrical. They might have different connectors, and the ecu will be different.

IF you swap stuff over it should be good to go.

Should be no problem. Some sensor plugs may be different, but use your WJ sensors and should be golden.

I ran a 2001 WJ engine in my 03 Rubi for 6 months. Only had to swap out a few sensors (oil, TPS, coolant... that I can remember)

Swap the oil filter adapter over.

If necessary, swap the intake and accessory bracketry.

Swap the sensors (or just replace outright. They should be the same, both being OBD-II engines, but you've got the thing out anyhow.)

Apart from that, it should be simple. The engines are mechanically identical through the long block and most of the sheetmetal, so I foresee no great difficulty here.

You can't swap the oil filter adapter over. The oil filter on the TJ and WJ block bolt directly to the block on an angle( or no angle.. I can't recall) with no adapter. Also, the WJ may have an accessory hole tapped in the head that the XJ may not have.

You can't swap the oil filter adapter over. The oil filter on the TJ and WJ block bolt directly to the block on an angle( or no angle.. I can't recall) with no adapter. Also, the WJ may have an accessory hole tapped in the head that the XJ may not have.

OK - so no adapter. Probably just a nipple in a threaded hole in the block, so remove the adapter from the XJ engine and check.

Despite the oil filter issue I would also verify that the water pump uses the same bolt holes to mount.

Edit:
Going off these pictures of the water pump mounting holes on the block, you won't be able to use the WJ water pump on the XJ block. And you won't be able to use an XJ block in a WJ.

WJ:
11.jpg

Also, in that pic you can see the alternator mount.. it looks that that might be part of the block as well.

2000 XJ block:
P1200746.JPG

Also, a pic of the idler pulley hole that I don't think the XJ head has (not 100% sure on that):
08.jpg

Last edited:
I knew they were different enough that you can't swap, but I didn't know exactly how so.. now I need to find out what is different about the 00-01 Xj blocks from earlier blocks..

Not trying to argue, but it's the same pump according to my NAPA computer...

Look up any XJ from 91-01 and it's the same part number.

Go back, read the thread title. This is not about an xj vs xj water pump. Its XJ vs WJ engine block and various accessories.

I have an 03 WJ 4.0 in my 88 renix XJ.Not a problem at all,you will have to drill and tap some bolt holes and cut a small portion of the boss on the block that will interfere with the Renix mounting brackets.All I did for the renix temp sender for the gauge is drill and tap the flat section on the t-stat housing.You will see when you line up the renix brackets to the Wj or Tj newer style blocks.I also did the same for the water pump and used the XJ pump,drill and tap.All in all it was quite easy.I used the XJ Renix motor mount brackets as well.Mine came with the intake And I used a 98 exhaust manifold.with a 91 front down pipe to cat,it has the threaded hole for the o2 sensor and the square 4 bolt flange making it a bolt on deal.IF you would like more info just ask any questions you may have.

Old thread but wanted to clarify that the water pumps are clocked differently to make room for the WJ's A/C compressor being in the lower left corner, and the lower radiator hose is routed differently since it has to go around the A/C compressor, but other than the physical differences they are basically the same. The missing bolt hole on the XJ block provides additional support for the WJ pump but it's not critical to the seal.

Back