• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Removal

andyszafran

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the process of removing the engine on my 2000 xj but I can't seem to get to the star bolt on the passenger side that holds the engine to the transmission. Any tips or tricks you can suggest?

Did you try unbolting (and supporting on a jack!) the tranny crossmember so you can tip the back of the engine down a little? We did it that way at the u-pull-it when I was shopping for my rebuilder. I was actually able to get my hand up there and put the socket on the star bolt, then guide the extension/swivel combination onto the socket.

I was also unable to get these bolts out, so twice I have removed the entire engine/trans/TC together. It's tricky to get it past the mounts this way, but possible, the radiator and front clip need to be removed. I tried the bolts with extensions and a ujoint socket, but I never did try it after lowering the trans, so that might work for you too.

Just thought of another tip, I'm sure it's been mentioned elswhere on this board before. Try to get the star bolts out first before they get loaded up with the weight of the engine/tranny. I know it's tempting to unbolt the easy to reach lower bolts first, but if anything should happen to shift after that, it makes it even harder to turn those star bolts. Let us know what worked for you.

i undid the motor and lowed it as much as i could(little if any) then i used some crazy long extensions with a universal and a ratchet running over the trans. its a pain in the ass but can be done

Back