• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New and improved battery cables

POLAR_JEEP_04

NAXJA Forum User
My battery cable and terminals weren’t in the best shape and my winch (T-Max 10k 6.6hp) felt under powered so I decided to not only replace the old nasty stuff but upgrade it. After a little research I found that 2 gauge welding wire would be the best suited because it is a bit more flexible and handles heat much better. I got a hold of selarep on Naxja and he shipped me six very heavy duty cables and two new HD terminals.

I replaced the pos. battery to power distribution center, battery to starter, power distribution center to alternator, neg. battery to block, battery to fender, and firewall to block.

I am very happy with the upgrade! It seems like the Jeep starts quicker now too. I will be upgrading to a 126A V8 ZJ alternator soon as well as upgrading my winch wiring to 1G welding wire (also from selarep)

Now for some pictures…

Before
battcables263.jpg

battcables260.jpg

battcables262.jpg

battcables261.jpg

Last edited:
Big cables are good, and often overlooked. I have one 2guage going to the starter, one 2guage going to everything else. I also picked up a 2/0 ground cable from a tractor place.

I don't mean for this thread to get closed, but if any one has any questions on pricing or anything custom, please PM me or email me @ [email protected]

Very nice. I'm considering something similar and you've given me some ideas.

thanks... where at in columbus if i can ask? im in westerville

Nice upgrade but you've got to replace one of those smaller red wires too the insulation is torn. That could short out on something and start a fire!

Nice upgrade but you've got to replace one of those smaller red wires too the insulation is torn. That could short out on something and start a fire!

I saw that and took the fuse out. It will get taken care of tomorrow when I install my PS cooler.

For a cleaner look, you could also move those wires that go to the positive terminal to the terminal in the fuseblock. Did you cut and crimp yourself, or were they preassembled?

yeah i might do that. they were preassembled there is no way I could have done as good as a job. selarep did all the measurements, cuts, and crimps. the cables were even heat shrinked and siliconed

I did the same with mine a few years ago because my cables looked so bad. I was surprised I didn't see any improvement but the piece of mind sure is nice. I used 2/0 to starter and block and 2 guage for the PDC and alternator. I have an ANL fuse to add to the mix but I haven't yet. Mine are crimped with heat shrink.
IMG_0018.jpg

It has a battery hold down now as well :D.

I did the same with mine a few years ago because my cables looked so bad. I was surprised I didn't see any improvement but the piece of mind sure is nice. I used 2/0 to starter and block and 2 guage for the PDC and alternator. I have an ANL fuse to add to the mix but I haven't yet. Mine are crimped with heat shrink.

It has a battery hold down now as well :D.

Is there any problem with the marine terminals touching the hood? I've been considering using a set, but didn't want to cause a short.

There isn't with an Optima but there is with a regular group 34 battery. The Optima has its terminals more in the middle and it clears the bracing around the hood better. The negative is the only one thats close in my case.

Back