• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timed lap course.

Jump This

Just another minion!
Okay, I said I'd start a separate thread regarding setting up a loop course for timed laps.

Lets use this thread to go over some ideas.
Since this is a Jeepspeed forum we will start with a desert course.
Johnson Valley is about as centrally located as we will find, so lets talk
about something out there.

How about:

A lap that can be run in less than an hour, but as close to that time as possible. That way when you improve your rig (say, add some nicer shocks etc.) the lap will be long enough to show improved times.

(I gotta' get outta' here right now, so add any questions or ideas as you choose!)

I've become sort of burned out on putting runs and events together (can't count how many I've done), but this idea has me jazzed about working on something. Everybody needs to understand that this would be totally unofficial, an informal gathering of friends. We would need to think through the various elements to make sure liability is minimized and safety is emphasized. We need to keep emphasizing safety in our general discussions anyway.

Many of us scrape together the funds to do upgrades to our rigs, and just can't afford the cost, or time commitment, of actually racing. Having a fun run of sorts can help provide an opportunity to run our rigs in a fun way without so much cost. Plus, like in my case, I have two rigs and niether of them fall into any desert racing class. It would be fun to have more friendly competition, like we already do on a small scale, as we race each other back to camp after running trails.

Also, as a seperate idea but along the same lines, some have expressed interest in runnning parts of the actual KOH course. I wouldn't mind leading a group run on sections of the course if some wanted to meet out there to do it. There were three good desert loops on the last race that are fun and interesting and not hardcore, places we haven't been before, and it could be fun for folks to run those sections.......especially the first section.

i will be out there next month and do some exploring, see if i can find some good spots to get the speed up without getting too dangerous for us non caged folks. maybe away from the normal traffic areas out there, so we dont come up on people unexpectedly.

Last edited:
Now this sounds like fun..The wife and i would like to join in on this..As long as i don't need a locker and bigger tires..We run throw the wash in my back yard all the time..She loves to go fast and sideways..Let me know a date for this

Now this sounds like fun..The wife and i would like to join in on this..As long as i don't need a locker and bigger tires..We run throw the wash in my back yard all the time..She loves to go fast and sideways..Let me know a date for this

I'm sure we will play around with a few different routes and come up with something in the fall.
Wait....how about a sand course on a full moon night?
Glamis!!

I'm sure we will play around with a few different routes and come up with something in the fall.
Wait....how about a sand course on a full moon night?
Glamis!!

Now its getting real interesting.

Lucky Cali guys. You guys have lots of nterest in things like this. We don't have too many desert style guys around here, the local Wendover Bore race only pulled like 20 vehicles a couple weeks ago. Sounds fun but maybe be careful eh?

Lucky Cali guys. You guys have lots of nterest in things like this. We don't have too many desert style guys around here, the local Wendover Bore race only pulled like 20 vehicles a couple weeks ago. Sounds fun but maybe be careful eh?

Always careful.
Unless one of those bastards are running 3 seconds faster than I am!

Always careful.
Unless one of those bastards are running 3 seconds faster than I am!

Yeah thats true. Like Im one to preach about safety ha ha :eyes:

sounds good but if your running a 45-50 mile loop you had better have at least a mid pit (that communicates to home base) that way you can keep track of cars on track and where they should be.

i know through the last couple years keeping track of the 1/2 1600 car i chase for has told me if and when they have rolled.

not that i want to hear of any of us rolling our cars but i can see it happen very easy! im down to do the mid pit location when i get the jeep running again.

Interested, but JV is a long way away now...

How about something in Nevada?

sounds good but if your running a 45-50 mile loop you had better have at least a mid pit (that communicates to home base) that way you can keep track of cars on track and where they should be.

i know through the last couple years keeping track of the 1/2 1600 car i chase for has told me if and when they have rolled.

not that i want to hear of any of us rolling our cars but i can see it happen very easy! im down to do the mid pit location when i get the jeep running again.

We are not talking about any race, we are talking about a single lap practice course. If you break, you break, somone comes and drags your butt back to your trailer (and we all hear about it and laugh!)
You should be 'down' for running the lap yourself. The idea is be able to run a lap whenever you feel like and compare your times to your buds. Also to be able to compare your times from one improvement to another.

im down for a lap i dont think im going to be fast till i get a cage! i picked up a 44 today so should be up and running soon.

Yeah, Nevada is lots closer to you.....
:rolleyes:

I live in WA now... so... JV is not a mere 9 hour drive anymore - its 21 hours... :gee:

Back