• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield Mounted to Cage?

99xj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone here mounted their windshield to their roll cage? Currently I have a solid 8 point cage, a good front bumper, and a stinger up front. The plan is to tie a front exo into the stinger and the interior 8 point cage (plan in blue). Currently im having a problem with the window frame flexing for obvious reasons. I want to brace the A pillar into the window frame, but I think a better looking, stronger, more practical thing to do is tube the a pillar and tie it into the cage and gusset it. If I do this my windshield would have to be mounted onto the exo/ tubed A pillar. I would probably either do 2 coats of polyurethane under the glass to get a nice thick gasket. Im wondering if I hit the side of the exo or front of the cage if I will break the window. I realize it will brake every time I roll, and more than likely if I hit the A pillar on something.
1-4.jpg

Anyone ever seen this or have any personally experience?

Last edited:
The stock windshield or some plexiglass?

You'll never get tube shaped good enough to seal a stock windshield to. I see what you are concerned about, the A pillars are going to get trashed and eventually not hold the windshield......plus breaking windshields in the meantime. I think it would be easier to figure a way to reinforce the A pillars if you intend to keep the windshield.

Stock windshield..
After I get this one replaced it will be windshield #8 (all broke for different reasons).
What I was thinking in my head was to tube the a piller flat as possible around the windshield, then cut the stock window frame off the top and sides of the Jeep, then trim it up, then weld it onto a piller and fill in the gaps top and bottom (maybe I could use polyurethane glue here instead of welding it).
I know if I ever roll it that whole window frame is toast and wont be salvageable. B/c the a pillers on a XJ are hollow I think even if I left them as is and gusseted them to the cage they would twist and dent so bad the end result would be the same. + then tieing into the existing cage becomes very hard.

Back