• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiper's

XJeeper87

NAXJA Forum User
i got 87 xj 4.0 front wiper has never worked since i got jeep and need some help trouble shooting the problem where to start what to look 4 and b4 u say check fuse i already did. any ideas guys??????? i been trying to figure this out for a month to no avail

There is no fuse. Did you check the circuit breaker? The contacts tend to get corroded, particularly on the fuse panels that have had 5spd transmission fluid dumped on them.

Other than that, does everything else on the ignition-on accessory circuit work -- radio, blower, etc. ?

all the wires for the wipers are grounded somewhere. execpt for the wiper fluid motor. can a bad motor cause this?

Last edited:
yes everything else works fine and where is this relay and u got a pic of it? only other thing is there is a little metal relay (might be wiper 1) behind the fuse box and it gets really hot when the ignition is on

This is a circuit breaker, not a relay, located at the bottom of the interior fuse panel by your left foot. It is a rectangular metal can about 1.5" by .5".

You say "behind" the fuse box so I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing. Rating is, I believe, 5.5 amps. I'm not sure if it would normally get warm with the wipers on but it should not get warm/hot with the wipers off.

i am not sure if it was the ignition or if the wipers were on bcus i acidentally left the wiper switch on for like a week while trying to figure out prob. and at one point i touched the little relay and it was really hot

Something may have melted during that time. The breaker resets itself so it was no doubt opening and resetting during that week. If the wipers weren't working then, your basic problem probably isn't the breaker but you might as well pull it and test with a meter or test light if you haven't already. I keep emphasizing that this is a circuit breaker because if you go to buy one and call it a relay, the parts people may not to know what you are talking about.

Do you have the intermittent feature? Usually if the module that controls this fails, you will still have basic wipers but I believe some have reported complete loss of function.

i unplugged the intermittent and plugged the two plugs without intermittent box. i think it is the motor bcus like i said. all wires going to the motor are gorunded somewhere almost like motor is grounding out. i am going to put power directly to the motor and see if it works then

Back