• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd to 4wd conversion

mase1222

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 99 xj se that two wheel drive... i would like to converte it to a 4wd has any one done the conversion know how to??? and also i would like to run 33s with out cutting up my body what size lift would i need

without cutting/trimming, you would need atleast 4.5" and bumpstop for no up travel. you would also need new wheels with different backspacing. the wheel wells are just too small to run 33's and not trim.

im sure there are some out there that are running 33's and no trimming, but IMHO, it negates the purpose of the lift and tire size.

For the conversion you need a different output shaft from the trans so you can mate the tc to it. you need a tc, front axle, front drive shaft, tc linkage, rear drive shaft. Thats all I can think of now. If you want to run 33's and not trim and still want some flex lift it 6.5 inches, 4.5 if you are willing to trim.

There are so many 4x4s out there, why bother with the headache. Just trade it in on a 4x4.

Well for one, you can be pretty sure that it hasn't already been thrashed around offroad by some goof ball.

i have a 99 xj se that two wheel drive... i would like to converte it to a 4wd has any one done the conversion know how to??? and also i would like to run 33s with out cutting up my body what size lift would i need

i can understand the conversion if you have the time and are looking for a project to work on, i just dont understand doing a conversion, lift, and 33" tires and then not wanting to trim some sheet metal.

its not a hard conversion, but its only worth it if you can find the parts or a donor vehicle for cheap.

do you have the time, tools, space, and experience for this type of work?

u will need a complete trans from a 97-01 xj, and t case , and a front axle (any year, but look for an hp dana 30 non disco), and drive shafts f/r that will mate up to the tcase....plus the tcase linkage.... and dont be discouraged by people tellin u to just sell it and get one with 4x4.. its really not as bad as u think... i know i did it to my 00' xj....just time comsuming!! plus it only cost me $400 for everything!!

You're still in high school so you are budget wise and don't like down time without wheels. Why not do a 3 inch lift(see Bastard, ZJ coils, spacers and new shocks or extenders) and lock your rear? Put some agressive 31's on and do most, if not all, of what the 4x4 boys do? An Aussie rear end = 2 open diffs in my book. And all mods can be handled cheaply (less the locker) and over the weekend(s). Plus you are still learning how to drive that wagon. Have fun.

swap is super super easy, also instead of pulling apart the trans to put a new output shaft in just get a 4wd trans, get one from a 96+ so you can have the 23 spline output shaft and make sure to get the transfer case from a same year or newer, if you can find a good parts vehicle at the junk yard just get the front axle, front drive line, rear driveline and t case and trans and you'll be good to go, there is a plate under the carpet for the linkage in side and where the linkage bolts up in the tunnel there are 4 dimples for you to drill the holes, super easy, good luck and take pix!

swap is super super easy, also instead of pulling apart the trans to put a new output shaft in just get a 4wd trans, get one from a 96+ so you can have the 23 spline output shaft and make sure to get the transfer case from a same year or newer, if you can find a good parts vehicle at the junk yard just get the front axle, front drive line, rear driveline and t case and trans and you'll be good to go, there is a plate under the carpet for the linkage in side and where the linkage bolts up in the tunnel there are 4 dimples for you to drill the holes, super easy, good luck and take pix!

super easy depends on ones skills and tools they have. what is easy for you may not be easy for someone else.

Put some agressive 31's on and do most, if not all, of what the 4x4 boys do? An Aussie rear end = 2 open diffs in my book.

:roflmao:I invite you to come spend some time with us in Arizona. You're not going to get 50 yards from the trailhead without 4WD even on a lot of intermediate trails regardless of what locker you might have in the rear. Depending on what trails the guy is running, you often times NEED that front end pulling. If you're running any kind of gumbo mud, I'd much rather have an open/open rig than a 2WD with a locker.

Now if you're planning on high speed desert racing, then yeah, 4WD isn't going to gain you much, if anything at all.

:roflmao:I invite you to come spend some time with us in Arizona. You're not going to get 50 yards from the trailhead without 4WD even on a lot of intermediate trails regardless of what locker you might have in the rear. Depending on what trails the guy is running, you often times NEED that front end pulling. If you're running any kind of gumbo mud, I'd much rather have an open/open rig than a 2WD with a locker.

Now if you're planning on high speed desert racing, then yeah, 4WD isn't going to gain you much, if anything at all.

Won't get far around here either but with a tera 2lo illianaxj walked through a lot of trails at badlands and i'm sure plenty of other places.

Won't get far around here either but with a tera 2lo illianaxj walked through a lot of trails at badlands and i'm sure plenty of other places.

Oh, for sure....there's even been a few places that I've been able to squeak through in 2WD high that hung up some people in 4LO just to be a smartass :D But using a 2LO kit is very much an apples to oranges comparision here, since a 2WD rig isn't going to have the benefit of low range, and that's a big benefit. Of course, if you don't mind abusing your rig, you can always use momentum to make up for lack of 4WD, lol.

But to say that a locker is going to some how magically make your 2WD be able to hang with the 4WD boys everywhere they go is a load of bunk.

I got my shit here: http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=975057

Why would anyone want a 2wd Jeep? F.Y.F.

Jeepspeed, or those street eliminator MJs...actually, had Jeep made an extended cab MJ, I would drop a blown V8 in one in a heartbeat and make a bad ass street machine out of one to go beat up on all those S10 V8 conversions :D

Hell, I'm still tempted to pick up another 2 door XJ and make my own extended cab MJ/XJ hybrid for that.

You're still in high school so you are budget wise and don't like down time without wheels. Why not do a 3 inch lift(see Bastard, ZJ coils, spacers and new shocks or extenders) and lock your rear? Put some agressive 31's on and do most, if not all, of what the 4x4 boys do? An Aussie rear end = 2 open diffs in my book. And all mods can be handled cheaply (less the locker) and over the weekend(s). Plus you are still learning how to drive that wagon. Have fun.

Wow that is just terrible advice. An Aussie rear end may = 2 open diffs in your book, but that is not the book of the real world.

So what if he is in highschool? A 2wd to 4wd conversion would take about abou the same time and effort as doing that stuff you listed.

Telling someone to go offroading in a 2wd vehicle is probably some of the worst advice I've ever heard.

Im doing the conversion right now and its not that bad. Try and find a rolled 4x4 not 1 that was in a hard wreck. I bought my doner for 300 on craigslist. Take your time and have all the parts u need before u start and do your lift at same time and u wont be doin double work. Keep your eyes open at junkyards i picked up a adjustable track bar for 10 bucks. Best of luck

Back