• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

low volts w/ air on, why?

paroxysym

NAXJA Forum User
i notice a significant drop when i have my air on in my 95. i replaced the battery and that worked for the time being, i notice that sometimes my belt squeals and cause the gauge to drop as well. is my alternator bad or what? i just replaced my battery last dec. so i know thats not the issue. when i run my air on high it dips beteen the middle and the red on the low side of the gauge..

Your belt is slipping. Replace and/or tighten. How old is your belt and have you done any recent work on any of the components that it turns?

Your belt is slipping. Replace and/or tighten. How old is your belt and have you done any recent work on any of the components that it turns?

hmm ok well ill be doing that soon. i havent touched the belt since i bought it last sept. i havent messed with any of the components.

Get yourself a KRIKIT II belt tension gauge from NAPA. I think Gates makes them. That belt should be @ 190# new and ~170# used, with a used belt defined as one that has over 15 minutes of engine run time.

Belt tension may be the problem, if that turns out to be good, check current into the AC pully clutch. That component may be on its way out.

Congratulations, you have been Jeeped!

This article explains your problem and what you can do to fix it: http://www.olypen.com/craigh/charge.htm

I highly recommend 5-90's cable upgrade, worth every penny.

Congratulations, you have been Jeeped!

This article explains your problem and what you can do to fix it: http://www.olypen.com/craigh/charge.htm

I highly recommend 5-90's cable upgrade, worth every penny.

Good article. Another example of how vehicles are engineered to meet 85% of operating requirements while minimizing costs, vs robust designs. Then again, that's why meeting government design specifications can cost so much.

To try to fix initial problem here, remove, clean and reassemble all electrical connections associated with the charging system. Battery posts, cable connections, ground connections, alternator wire connections. And if you have those cheesy temporary battery cable connections, consider purchasing complete cables with the battery clamps cast in. JC Whitney has them at a very resonable price.

Back