• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taurus fan questions, I KNOW, I SEARCHED!

Senior_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
YES, i DO know that theres a billion threads on this, and YES i searched!! The only reason for my questions is cause im doing it slightly different and can use some opinions AND advice!!!

-- Best place 2 get the fan, the yard, OR brand new from the store??
-- Whats the average pricing for the yard, AND OR the new fan so i dont get ripped off?
-- Is it better 2 buy used or buy new & have a better piece of mind??
-- I wanna keep the aux fan, BUT replace it with a lower profile, smaller fan thats better then stock and so i can fit the taurus fan in better. It will work just like the stock fan would. Any advice on that??
-- Should i spring for a decent controller w/hi & low speeds, temp settings and an off switch for those water crossings??
LAST ONE.....
-- Besides removing the clutch fan and putting the bolts back in it,, am i supposed to take a pully out and run a shorter belt?????

*note*
-- I will have override & kill switches on BOTH fans.
-- I have a 95 XJ w/the HO 4.0L motor, auto, with a 3 row CSF rad,, a hesco hi flow water pump,, new 180 stat & new temp sensors.
-- I have an upgraded 140amp alt and a yellow top optima so im good there.
-- I will get a low profile tranny cooler and mount it on the hanging part of the taurus fan that most do in this mod.

Last edited:
You don't really need to search -- just thumb down through the first three pages of the Modified Tech forum and ~98% of your questions will be answered.

If you have the cash, new is good -- only you can make that decision. Simplest way to get cost new is call a couple of local parts house plus google.

Im thinkin of gettin the 2 speed taurus fan, mounting it horizontal instead of the normal way so that it gives me more room for the aux fan, and a place to mount the tranny cooler to!! I think im gonna get one of those controller units to set the fan to turn on at low speed at say 185, and to come on at hi speed at say 220. AND ofcourse override & kill switches for each fan and an on/off/on switch for the taurus fan to control both speeds. Then i'll just swap out the aux fan for the newer model XJ's that are supposed to be more efficient!! I think that would be the perfect setup for me!!!!
OK, whos got a 2 speed taurus fan, and a 97 thru 01 model aux fan for me to buy?????????

Im thinkin of gettin the 2 speed taurus fan, mounting it horizontal instead of the normal way so that it gives me more room for the aux fan, and a place to mount the tranny cooler to!! I think im gonna get one of those controller units to set the fan to turn on at low speed at say 185, and to come on at hi speed at say 220. AND ofcourse override & kill switches for each fan and an on/off/on switch for the taurus fan to control both speeds. Then i'll just swap out the aux fan for the newer model XJ's that are supposed to be more efficient!! I think that would be the perfect setup for me!!!!
OK, whos got a 2 speed taurus fan, and a 97 thru 01 model aux fan for me to buy?????????

if you mount it horizontal then you wont have room for the stock e fan, but you will if you mount it vertical. mounting it vertical you will have extra shroud hanging below the radiator. most people that mount theirs vertically put a medium or large trans cooler in the extra space. i dont know of any controllers out there that handle the two different speeds with two different setting to turn them on, but if there is someone please post it up. the 97+ stock e fans do pull a lot of air, but their wiring is also heavier. i have a late model e fan in my 95 and my stock wiring is a little thinner than the fans. it doesnt seem to be an issue right now for me, but i dont know the size wiring on renix xjs. if its smaller than the 95s you may want to run the late model e fan off of a relay.

i have put a taurus fan, DCC FK 90 fan controller, medium/large trans cooler, and a 98 stock e fan into my 95 xj. my taurus fan is mounted vertically with the trans cooler below the radiator behind the front cross member. initially i took the stock mech fan out and replaced the studs with button head bolts. clearance was pretty tight and i wasnt able to move the fan over as much as i would have liked. i guess i didnt get the pulley quite right and the mech fan pulley grenaded on me on my way to moab. in the NAPA parking lot i removed the mech pulley and rerouted the belt using a belt from a 83 full size cherokee without power steering. my Delta Current Control fan controller is mounted on the fender next to the battery.

everything was good for a while until the bearing on the taurus fan motor went out and the motor burned up. since i had clearanced out some room earlier from deleting the mech fan pulley and going with a shorter belt, i was able to move my replacement taurus fan over a little more by trimming it more than the first.

i am moderately pleased with the DCC controller. i set it up per the instructions to a keyed circuit (i used the cig lighter). i also put a switch in that line to be able to interrupt that circuit to turn the fan off if needed. well, it doesnt do that. its acting like its on constant 12v instead of switched. i am going to wire the supply of the controller to a relay and have the relay triggered by a keyed source. i think the controller is also the source of my parasitic batt drain. i just have to find a good high amp relay for it. i have the controller wired to the high speed on the fan. the controller varies the current to control the fan speed. rarely does it go on to 100% power. its also set up that when the stock e fan comes on the taurus fan will run at full speed as well.

i am trying to source another 95+ e fan. (renix- 94 has 6 flat blades, 95-96 has 8 s curved blades, and 97+ has 10 s blades). i hope to replace its motor with that of a taurus fan- wont benefit me any but may be an idea for those who want the t fan and not loose their mech fan. the t fans motor is a little bigger than our stock ones, but i think it may fit with a little trimming on the fans plastic parts.

i have heard that replacement taurus fans are not equivalent CFM wise as the factory ones. all that they have to do is fit, not preform as stock. to be safe, get a factory ford taurus fan from the junkyard. be sure the bearings are good in the fan.

and yes, i am going to say SEARCH. the topic of the taurus fans has been covered many times and there are numerous write ups on it. some of the sites/threads i used were:

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTaurusFanInstall1.htm
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAutoCooler.htm
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=243943406&postcount=30
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=953768&highlight=alternator
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=955907

i didnt use just one write up, but instead took bits and pieces of each and made it into what i thought would work the best for me.

Back