• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PLEASE HELP!! My alarm won't stop going off

92tahoexj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I've been struggling with this issue on and off for some time now and I'm tired of unhooking my battery every night. Does anyone know how to REMOVE a factory alarm??? I have 92' limited with a factory keyless entry and security system. The one with the single button remote(lost) that only works from 2 feet away. I no longer lock my doors in FEAR of the alarm going off in the middle of the night like last night. Now, the alarm is going off without being armed. Where is the alarm located??? how do I remove or disable it totally? why is it going off if it isn't armed in the first place? somone PLEASE HELP ME before one of my very nice neighbors beats me up:confused:

In the drivers kick panel there is a green wire with an orange stripe, ground this wire and that should take of your problem.

Thank You!! I'll give it a try. What is this wire and what does it do??

It's the factory disarm wire for the factory alarm. When it see a ground it disarms the alarm, so you should be able to ground it and keep it disarmed. Let me know if it works.

I found several wires of that color combination. which one should i ground? there is one going to the door pin switch for the drivers door and several in the factory harness

Last edited:
It should be a small 18 to 22 gauge wire. Use a DVM to see what state the wire is in at rest it should be rest at nothing. I don't have the vehicle in front of me so I can see it for myself.
If you can't find it then show a local installer the wires and they should be able to point it out by sight.

I have a factory alarm on our 97TJ, down on the same panel that the OBDII plug is located is a push button, by holding it in then turning the key to 'on' it disarms it till you either rearm with the key fob or disconnect and reconnect the battery. As far as making it permanent I do believe I saw a menu option in the chrysler scan tool last time I was programming two new keyfobs for the 97ZJ to disable the alarm system.

It could be there are wires shorting out against the frame. Check the wire harness that runs under the driver's side carpet. Almost all my issues were resolved when I found my 90 XJ was shorting out against the frame there.

Bringing one back. Is there any more thoughts on disabling the factory cherokee alarm? Ive got a 92 and would like to get rid of it. The old electronics aren't doing very well and I also have some issues with the windows. But it would be great if I can lock my jeep without worrying I might set the alarm off again when I try to unlock it. Btw I just got this a few days ago and have been working almost every day so far this new year. Just haven't had time to investigate myself. And I didn't get a key fob when I bought it, just the two factory keys. Thanks in advance.

Kind of a cheater's way out, but back when I had my 93 limited, I was pissed that my keyless entry stopped working altogether, so I just had a new alarm system with keyless entry put in. They pulled all the old alarm components at that time.

Of course, now I do my own work and pulling and running all those wires sounds like a huge PITA.

Back