• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

break problem

poomero

NAXJA Forum User
my 1990 xj is having break issues. i was going down a dirt hill this afternoon and the peddle went all the way to the floor. when i was down the hill the peddle came back and they seem to be working right now. does anyone know what this could be?

Have you checked the fluid level? If it was low and you were traveling downhill it might "run out" until it was level again.

did you break your brakes?

ok ok!!! i didn't know i had to spell right to get a little help on here. i tried to change when i noticed that i spelled it wrong but it wouldn't let me. oh well what can you do. so do you smart people that know how to spell know what might be wrong with my brakes?

i was kind of thinking brake fluid level too... after you fill it, bleed them because i bet once you went down that hill and sucked air, you got air in ur system

if you want, check ur pads, see how much wear you have left on them, and take it down that same steep hill and see if it fixed the problem...

Have you checked your fluid level yet? It's been over an hour since that excellent suggestion was offered. That probably would probably have been a good place to start before posting about your broken brakes.

If the brake fluid is low at your master cylinder, it likely went someplace. Either the gasket on the lid is leaking or possibly your rear wheel cylinders.
If the brake fluid level in your master cylinder reservoir got low enough to suck air, chances are you'll need to bleed the brakes.
Pull the rear drums look for brake fluid soaked brake shoes and carefully partially open the rubber ends of the wheel cylinders and see if brake fluid runs out. If your careful to only partially open the rubber boots in the front (facing you) side of the wheel cylinder, they are a lot easier to get back on and seated.

I have a break problem also, there is a sign on my desk (given to me by my co-workers) that says coffee break, 8 AM to 5 PM, daily. :)

Any update on the fluid level?

If the brake fluid is low at your master cylinder, it likely went someplace. Either the gasket on the lid is leaking or possibly your rear wheel cylinders.
If the brake fluid level in your master cylinder reservoir got low enough to suck air, chances are you'll need to bleed the brakes.
Pull the rear drums look for brake fluid soaked brake shoes and carefully partially open the rubber ends of the wheel cylinders and see if brake fluid runs out. If your careful to only partially open the rubber boots in the front (facing you) side of the wheel cylinder, they are a lot easier to get back on and seated.

I have a break problem also, there is a sign on my desk (given to me by my co-workers) that says coffee break, 8 AM to 5 PM, daily. :)

also you could be low on fluid if your pads are worn... when i install new pads i crack the lid when i compress the pistons so it gives the air somewhere to go when you force the fluid back into the master cylinder.

i have a little "brake" problem on my xj too. bleed the brakes, all is fine then ride for a week or so and then she pulls to the right and then her brakes are very low. bleed them again and then the same thing. it pull so bad sometimes that she almost pulls the steering out of my hand pulling to the right. the brakes then feel very uneven as if it is braking a little on a wheel at a time and then she feels unstable on the road. it is difficult to explain but feels like the wheel each get a turn so the vehicle tends to move all over the road. have bled the fluid right through till new fluid came out. still no diffs. could it be the master cylinder rubber or what? i got a set of VW POLO rear calipers to install on the back and hope this will solve the problem once installed. THOUGHTS??????

i have a little "brake" problem on my xj too. bleed the brakes, all is fine then ride for a week or so and then she pulls to the right and then her brakes are very low. bleed them again and then the same thing. it pull so bad sometimes that she almost pulls the steering out of my hand pulling to the right. the brakes then feel very uneven as if it is braking a little on a wheel at a time and then she feels unstable on the road. it is difficult to explain but feels like the wheel each get a turn so the vehicle tends to move all over the road. have bled the fluid right through till new fluid came out. still no diffs. could it be the master cylinder rubber or what? i got a set of VW POLO rear calipers to install on the back and hope this will solve the problem once installed. THOUGHTS??????

you could also have a clogged brake line or clogged caliper causing it to pull to the opposite side.

the fluid is full and i put new pads and on it.

ok, did you bed them in ? yanno get up to 35 mph then moderately brake to a stop 4-5 times then get up to i think 45 and brake fairly hard 2-3 times, then let them cool? ( i think thats how hawk says to do bed them in.

Back