• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What valving for front 7100 ??

BajaCurt

NAXJA Forum User
OK all you go-fast guys.
I'll be installing my Bilstein 7100 short body reservoir shocks in the front soon.
I need to have them revalved and wondered what valving is best suited for us go-fast guys (keep in mind I still like to go out and play on the rocks...and for now it's my daily driver)
255/70?
275/75?
360/80?

And yes I did search and read the thread in mod tech or somewhere but I wanted to ask here and get the opinion of the go-fast guys.

Thanks!! :)

I like 255/70.

Curt,

What coils?

With RE coils, I'd go 255/70. With a stiffer coil (Deaver, RK) I'd go 275/78.

I have run both valvings with 7100's on my RE 4.5 ZJ (5.5 XJ) coils and felt that the coils were too soft for 275/78.

-C

Curt,

What coils?

With RE coils, I'd go 255/70. With a stiffer coil (Deaver, RK) I'd go 275/78.

I have run both valvings with 7100's on my RE 4.5 ZJ (5.5 XJ) coils and felt that the coils were too soft for 275/78.

-C

Deaver coils.
I currently have 3.5 RE coils on the XJ and have brand new 4.5 RE coils in the garage waiting to go on. Then I decided to not do this step by step, inch by inch, so slowly I turned and ... quickly decided to just go with the Deavers :D

Then I'd do 275/78, and have them add rubber secondary bumpstops on the shock shaft.

probably not, but they are about $12 and great insurance.

7100's are great shocks, but don't handle being bottomed out at speed very well.. I've broken a few of them. :)

I don't see how you cango wrong with 275/78's in the dez with any spring rate over about 210. RE ZJ's are 225, Skyjackers 6 or 8's are 245 or so. Both work extremely well with 275/78's.

I like a lot of rebound damping in the rocks too, but less compression damping. Rebound damping really helps on ledgy climbs where you must "bump" obstacles to get a tire over. Too much compression damping makes the rig feel stiff and peg leggy, if you catch my drift.

I went with the 360/80 and air bumps Curt, and it was great for the go fast... but a little stiff on the street. the 275/78 should be fine.

BTW, Did you see the set of air bump mounts for an XJ for sale on the DR Forums?

here is a link:

http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/showthread.php?t=89464

I say offer up $100 and do it!!

The pinch clamp looks the same as other can's.I thought the can was supposed to adjust up and down but it looks like it all welds up.

The 275/78s work really well in the front with hydro bumps. 360/80 in the rear without bumps is perfect. That was the set up I had until I put the bumps in back, then it was too much.

-Dan

The 275/78s work really well in the front with hydro bumps. 360/80 in the rear without bumps is perfect. That was the set up I had until I put the bumps in back, then it was too much.

-Dan

Hey Dan, was that running them straigh up and down? or angled.. I ran the 255/70 rear and really liked it, but they were 14s and mounted straight in to the cage.

Yeah, straight up and down to the cage inside. Mine were 14's as well, and used all of it. The higher rebound dampening in the back stopped all the bucking in the back at stupid high speed in the whoops. It was way too much compression dampening with the rear air bumps in back, and I couldn't even bottom the bumps out, so I messed with the valving some more but never really got it dialed again. Then I had the bright idea to link the rear...

-Dan

Dan, the 360/80 really cured the bucking in the back? I've been trying to understand that for years. It seems like for everything other than hauling ass that valving would be pretty stiff.

But, that's another thread.

BTW, I do really like my 275/78 valving in the front with fairly stiff coils.

Dan, the 360/80 really cured the bucking in the back? I've been trying to understand that for years. It seems like for everything other than hauling ass that valving would be pretty stiff.

But, that's another thread.

BTW, I do really like my 275/78 valving in the front with fairly stiff coils.

Yeah, it seemed that slowing down the rebound didn't let the back of the jeep kick back up, and it didn't feel like it was packing at all. I run 36" bias Iroks and beadlocks, so maybe my heavier tire combo works better like this?? It went from doing a teeter totter effect to running level front and back.

-Dan

Back