• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick question on drum brakes.

UltimateG

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

I just replaced the wheel cylinders in the back, and when I went to re-assemble the brakes, something came out wrong. I'm in a hurry to get this done, so I'm hoping y'all can point out the problem. Searching here found no previous questions like this. I'm no expert on brakes, so if it's something really simple, please feel free to point and laugh.
:dunce:

The self-adjuster cable no longer pulls tension on the adjusting lever. In fact it's pretty slack. Check out my pictures below, and you'll see that the adjusting lever no longer even touches the star nut.

To remove the wheel cylinder, I didn't even have to take off the shoes or the adjuster. The only parts I pulled off were the anchor pin plate, and the adjuster cable. I unhooked the primary & secondary springs from the pin, but didn't remove them. I did each wheel separately in order to keep an original as a guide. Still, both wheels came out like this.

Thanks,
G

('94 sport. 9" drum. no abs)

IMG_0442-2.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

Last edited:
Make sure the cable guide (under the rear spring) is fully seated in the hole.

As far as I can tell, it is. At least it looks and feels good. Is there a proper way to determine this?

Oh, and after I put it together and took it out for a test drive, I noticed that pulling on the handbrake would bring one loud clunk from each wheel before the jeep would start to slow down. I can't see what this is coming from either.

Whoops, forgot to put this one in:

IMG_0441.jpg

Last edited:
Pix no worky

Be sure the bar between the brake shoes is seated well.
The adjuster cable should be on the front shoe and around the guide.
The spring from the adjuster pawl should be low on the secondary shoe.
Be sure to adjust your brakes up before sliding the drums on, then final adjust afterwards though the holes in the backing plate.

Last edited:
I have the same problem with mine. I have replaced all of the springs including the auto adjuster cable with spring. I have also replaced the star adjuster "arms" themselves. I don't know what it is, although it doesn't really bother me, I am fixing to buy a set of newer 10" drums off of a friend to replace my 9".

Aha, all better now. I think it was what saudade said... I didn't realize that the cable guide can go back in the proper location, while still being out of position. Once I pulled the rear spring off and positioned the guide so it was *completely flush* against its mating surface, it was cured.

Thanks all.

thanks for posting up the solution.

ps: i hate drum brakes. thank God i went to rear disks

The self adjuster cable and the "guide" are supposed to be on the FRONT shoe? I think mine are backwards. They were that way when I got the Jeep and I have been installing it the same way every time I've replaced the shoes!

My guides are flush though. Initially I had a problem with the self adjust cable slipping between the guide and the shoe itself but I fixed that and it hasn't happened since.

But it sounds like my brakes are all ass backwards. Is the bigger shoe supposed to be the front shoe?

The self adjuster cable and the "guide" are supposed to be on the FRONT shoe? I think mine are backwards. They were that way when I got the Jeep and I have been installing it the same way every time I've replaced the shoes!

My guides are flush though. Initially I had a problem with the self adjust cable slipping between the guide and the shoe itself but I fixed that and it hasn't happened since.

But it sounds like my brakes are all ass backwards. Is the bigger shoe supposed to be the front shoe?

I probably explained it badly. Should be like this: http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Drum_Brake_Service.htm

No.

The photos I posted are for the left rear wheel on my unmodified jeep.
They also match exactly to the diagrams in the haynes book.
The smaller shoe goes towards the front.
The lager shoe and the cable & cable guide are all on the rear shoe.

That is how I have it then, correctly. I still wonder why I have issues with the self adjusting cable not putting enough tension on the self adjuster. I cant wait to get rid of the 9" and start fresh with the 10" which are all newer OEM parts instead of a mix of junk autozone springs and bushwa.

Hallo The same here. I poprived the cable guide to the shoe.
When the cable guide can move away from the shoebody, the cable can jammed between them. That was the reason of popping sound I had in the rear after braking!
The big surprise was, when opened the rear drum it was ok. haha
So it took me a very long time to find that out!
Still my cable is a little bit too long. :dunno:

'92 XJ

Just thought I should post up. From what I have found, none of the brake spring "hardware" kits come with the ebrake equilizer spring/level spring. As you can see there is an oval shaped spring on one of the ends of that bar that is above the hub between both brake shoes.

I had to ordered these springs from Advance Auto for $4.00. AutoZone did not even have these springs listed in their system. Advance Auto had the ones for the 10" drums but not the 9". Yes, there is a large difference between the size of the springs!

It would make sense that if it actually kept the shoes apart that it would probably tighten up the self adjuster cable and keep the self adjuster lever touching the star wheel?

I know the springs that are in mine right now are worn out and barely provide any spring action as well.

Here is an example picture of the ones I am talking about.

BRAKE%20EBRAKE%20EQUILIZER%20BAR%20SPRING%2072-86.JPG

My springs will be in on Monday, so I will repost back. I hope I am right about this being the problem! I don't see what else could be causing the self adjuster not to work properly.
http://www.the-jeep-guy.com/BRAKE EBRAKE EQUILIZER BAR SPRING 72-86.JPG

I think all that does is keep the plate from rattling around when the e-brake is off.

Well then I don't know what the heck the problem is. I have new self adjuster cables which are a tiny bit shorter than my old stretched out ones. They seem to keep it tight for awhile but if you go back in after driving a bit you'll find the self adjust lever hanging slightly below the star wheel. It's odd! Like it moves out of alignment or something...

Back