• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with pricing?

FallibleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Folks, this summer I'm planning to swap out my rear axle and regear the front. I am looking at 4.56 gears. I currently have a D30 in the front and a D35 in the rear. I'm looking to swap out the D35 to something beafier with better gearing and maybe either an LSD or maybe a locker.

If I were to take this to shop what kind of price and I looking at? Im not sure as to what exactly is involved in this. I also don't really know which axle would be cheapest. I am looking to go to 33's but with the possibility of 35s.

if this is the wrong section would a mod mind moving it?

What axle? What Locker? What Year D30?

I'm running a 94, 5", 33's
My experience = $150-175 D44, $100 297's joints and shafts out of a newer xj, $500 aussies F/R, Gears & Carriers $475 + $800 labor.

its a 97' XJ. I was thinking of doing a SYE at the same time. Would it be cheaper to do it while doing the axles? or after.

I would like a D44, but from what I hear they're hard to come by

it depends where your getting the axle from. if you get it yourself in the junkyard you could be looking at anywhere from $125-300. if your getting it off of a private seller it could be more. i paid $200 for my 29 spline 8.25 that is nearly comperable in strength to a XJ D44. XJ 44s are pretty difficult to find in the junk yard. the ford 8.8 rear end out of a ford exploder (preferably with disk brakes) is a common swap but you have to weld on new spring perches and shock mounts as well as getting a companion flange to bolt up to your driveshaft. but you would get disk brakes at the same time as your axle swap. you already have the stronger stock axle shafts in your D30 with your xj being both ABS and a late model.

I had a friend recommend the ford 8.8 to me, that may actually be what I go for. When searching around in a salvage yard, is there anything in particular I should look for?

Look for a 44 out of a 87(88 & 89 i think too) 2wd or 4wd or if you can weld mj has them as well.

Back