• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front leaf spring question....

recycledxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm not asking on how to do the swap, I'm just asking has anybody done the swap with SUA and not SOA? Only reason I'm asking because the ideal of using 4inch lifted MJ springs seem to be a good ideal, that way you don't need a fancy cross over steering.

I'm not asking on how to do the swap, I'm just asking has anybody done the swap with SUA and not SOA? Only reason I'm asking because the ideal of using 4inch lifted MJ springs seem to be a good ideal, that way you don't need a fancy cross over steering.

I have no idea about front leaf springs swaps but if you go to leafs wouldn't you need cross over steering wither way?

Crossover steering isn't really fancy. It is, however, alot easier to build, provides a more solid steering feel, and allows for better steering angles.

Why does using 4" lift MJ springs seem like a good idea?

:huh: I read this right.......right? Yea I read it twice cuz I thought I missed a page.

I've read a whole lot of leaf conversion threads and not one of them has gone LUA. The rig would definately be unique. Double so if you did the rear under also.

Im mostly doing a front leaf swap because I have a set 3/4 ton axles sitting in my backyard that needs a good home.... also if you seen my beater jeep you would understand why i wouldnt want to spend alot of money going with a longarm upgrade and brackets to make my HD 44 fit the xj.

Also I like the ideal of using MJ springs so I could weld the rear spring perch on the flat part of the unibody. Also I have angle iron welded on the front half the frame to work with my custom crossmember, so that would be a great area to weld onto.

And if I go SUA I can use a stock tierod off a j10 or j20 and just make a custom draglink, and the steering is done.

leaves are simple and virtually maintenance free.

Leafs aren't simple at all. A 5 link setup consists of 5 links and the axle. A leaf setup consists of 2 leaf spring, and 2 shackles, and each leaf spring is composed of several leaves.

The job of converting completely obliterates it as a "simple" option. Remember, it's a unibody vehicle that wasn't designed for leafs.

Leafs aren't simple at all. A 5 link setup consists of 5 links and the axle. A leaf setup consists of 2 leaf spring, and 2 shackles, and each leaf spring is composed of several leaves.

The job of converting completely obliterates it as a "simple" option. Remember, it's a unibody vehicle that wasn't designed for leafs.

Have you ever build a 4 link suspension? They have a calculator for. They do not have a calculator for a leaf spring suspension. Because it is so simple it's not needed. I'm not sure how else to explain how simple it is.

Back on track-I'd give going SUA a shot if you're trying to use all parts available. If you ever choose to go SOA it wouldn't be but a days worth of to fix it.

Back