• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Don't you love it when a plan comes together?

Ahhhhh, the good old A-team. I pity the foo! LOL

So I've been planning my El-cheap-o El-Jeep-o build for a while now, drawing on lessons learned from my prior ride: a 1989 XJ that I bought used with 8.5" of "Piggybacked" lift circa 1990, Stock open axles F/R, and big ole' 35" meats. I wheeled the crap outta that thing, and never broke a part. I later dropped a pair of Powertraxx lockers in F/R and OMG! FUN! Again, wheeled her, and never broke anything, including the "Super weak D35 rear end"... probably because I drive by thinking about where I want to go and using just enough throttle to get there and not just lead-footing each obsticle I come to.

SO, I've been looking forward to building my current rig, a 1995 4 door. Currently she's been updated with a 3" Rustys HD suspension kit with shocks, 31" BFG AT's, someones lightly used rock sliders (Rustys I think, but they have a R.E. sticker on them) and a roof rack, and now I'm adding:

Detours "Backbone" winch mounting system, customized by Detours to accept my Warn 8274 - yup! An off-the-shelf 8274 mount! YAY!

Additionally, I've been concerned about the durability of my D35... not that I've ever had a problem, even with the 35's and cheapest locker I could buy. I had purchased an XJ D44 for the rear, but, since I have a locker for the D35 already, I decided to test my luck and run the Yukon D35 upgraded shafts this summer to check out their durability, and they were a bargain at $199 for the pair (inc. wheel bearings) and $15 for the studs. So, in the next few weeks I'll be installing this stuff and am quite excited to finally be able to make trail runs with you guys.

I also picked up a used class 4 hitch for the rear end mainly for use as a recovery point, but, may build a small trailer to use as an overnight camper for weekend expeditions.

I'm going to drop by Evergreen Fire Safety in Lynnwood on 168th next week to pick up a pair of fire extinguishers to mount inside. (Great store for REAL fire extinguishers with REAL brackets too)

So the Detours Backbone gives me a winch mount with an awesome 8274 in it and 2x D-Ring mounts for recovery, upgraded and locked D35 for the rear, and the hitch for a rear tow point.

I''ve got some work to do to get there, but, I'll be seeing you on the trail, with a trail-worthy rig, soon!

:party:

Eric

Where do you wheel that a d35 doesn't break. My wifes broke on the road. POS. Keep us posted on the build

Edmonds, Lynnwood, Everett... LOL

I've been to Reiter quite a few times, but havn't played a whole lot on the rocks. Spent a few weekends last year exploring Naches area just north of US12 too, found a great rocky ridge line trail at the 6000' level that was really nice, rocky, and miles long too.

I've wheeled in Michigan, Wisconsin, at the big rock pits in Gilbert Minnesota, on the rocks at Uwharrie State Forest in North Carolina with the old jeep, and all over Washington here-n-there (Northeast corner, crossing into Idaho was FUN) with narry a problem outta the D35's. My past experience is that the D35 has held up well. I've seen knuckleheads bust their stuff but they were driving like they stole it. As someone said, you should drive it like you own it, respect your equipment, and it'll pay you huge dividends.

So, if the D35 breaks, so be it. It was a cheap experiment. I've got a feeling with the new shafts it'll take more than I will want to throw at it, and I'll retain the stock shafts for spares.

And, if I break the D35 on seemingly "Easy" stuff, well, I've got a D44 to swap in.

OH, almost forgot, the 1989 2 door had a Crane Cam and 1st overbore High Compression Pistons as well, and never broke an axle. :passgas:

Eric

I had very good luck with my D35 also (33's, locked, and weak right foot). However, I also know several people who have broken them on the street with small tires and open.

One thing to keep in mind is that your old 89 D35 would have been the "stronger" non c-clip style and your newer one will be the "weaker" c-clip style. I use the words "stronger" and "weaker" loosely !!!1

I look forward to seeing your front bumper/winch set up once it is installed.

Michael

I blow up a 8.25 not to long ago. It was my DD is winter. Its a 92 4dr currently 2wd w/ stock tire. OPEN DIFF!!! I went to pull out on the main road and BOOM! I have yet to pull it apart lol. It just sitting on the side yard till it stops raining. I have a EB 9" to replace it

Back