• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE

I've done it both ways, and I prefer to pull the case. Much easier to work on it on the bench. But it can be done in the vehicle.

I did mine while still in the Jeep, but I had it up on a 4 post lift. I think if I only had jackstands, I'd have pulled the T-case.

Rick, modifying or rebuilding/fixing a stock t-case is a 5 hour project for me, by myself with the rig on it's own tires and hand tools. Two hours out, one hour on the bench, and two hours back in. If that gives you any idea.

the last time I did a 231 SYE, I did it in about 3 hours...

I left it installed in the vehicle.

If you do pull it, make sure to break the nut on the front output shaft loose (with the tranny in park, and the t-case in 4 low) before pulling the case - otherwise its hard to break loose without fancy air tools. :wierd:

bah! if you can get the jeep high enough to sit under it then just do it under the jeep! There is a video I followed to get it done under the jeep. It went smooth and was a lot easier then I thought! No real mechanic knowledge but that is what the Internets for!

Took me about 5-6 hours, 1-2 of those was me being retarded and fudging around with snap rings and waiting for the gasket stuff to dry and what not. I put a extension on the fluid pump and it fell off into the t-case! lol that sucked fishing it out with the mini grabber.

Here is the video. It made it possible for me to do it myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hGpjCAkOvk

Last edited:
just watch out for the 12 sided bolt at the top. that was almost a deal breaker for me that night.

did mine in chassis, with the wheels on the ground (4.5" lift)

started after work, and after dinner, had it together before 11PM, including a trip out to Lowes toget a 12 sided socket set

it only takes me about a 1/2 hour to remove jeep t-case but i've done it 12 or 13 times
i've also swaped a bent output shaft on both a 231 and 242 but never put in an sye i would only imagine it takeing a hour or so though and then maybe another 1/2 hour 45 minutes to put it all back in (i've taken out more then i've put in)
really depends on the person i guess

They are not that complicated if you have the AA instructions. First time in the truck 2.5 hours including the trip to press off the gear which I din't have to do since I have a 2000.

Back