• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering upgrades.

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
My 98s steering is in very poor shape, and just about every end needs replacing. I DD the Jeep, and it only has 30s to 31s on it, but rather than paying to replace the front end with stock parts, i figured now is as good of a time as ever to upgrade. I don't need anything crazy, i don't really wheel the jeep hard at all, just use it to get to our camping spots and whatnot. I've looked at Currie, JCR, and Rusty's kits, and I'm not sure which i should go with. Rusty's is the cheapest, but his tie rod ends seem to be a weak point. The JCR requires reaming in order for their kit to work. Currie's site says it will bolt right into place which is nice, and I like that but they happen to be $150 MORE than the rusty's steering. Which would you recommend and any outside brands that are worth mentioning is appreciated as well.

Lots of people say to go with the Currie setup and that its well worth the money. Others also say that if you swap over to the ZJ steer that it is as one guy told me once "The Beef". LOL I ordered from Rugged Ridge and there product from what Ive heard (from my friend in NC) said it is good stuff. But Ill tell you up front that there custumer service is TERRIBLE!!! I have had nothing but trouble and they keep offering me parts for a Grand Cherokee lol.

I am running the JCR 1-ton UTK set up and would not suggest it if this rig is your daily driver. It will eventually develop a deadspot in the steering that can get ya into pucker mode real fast. I love the strength of it and my rig is only a trail rig, so it has worked great for me for what I need it for. I would have to say that for what your using your rig for you would be just fine putting on the ZJ steering. Of course Currie is more expensive, but you get what you pay for, period. I have heard numersous complaints of the Rusty's systems.

There are about 300 threads in the past few months on this.

I went with Currie. Tried a TREKS thicker tie rod and bent that the day after I installed it. Paid up for the Currie and it held up on the same trails. Much beefier than stock and installed in no time.

If I did it again, I'd go with Ballistic Fab's heim setup.

With the ZJ swap that's nothing more than a heavier tie rod, the drag link remains the same. So without going extreme, the only bolt in kit that is recommend so far is the currie setup?

1) The later year XJs got the ZJ TRE and a better link. I was thinking they up graded the 99 XJ but you would need to check. I know my 01 holds up much better then the early ones did.
2) If you have gotten good milage out of your stock setup and you don't intend to change your tires or driving habits. I don't see this as a upgrade at all. You could get good stock idems and spend the extra on Beer.

X2
The difference in cost between the Curie and the ZJ will buy a lot of beer. If you are only going to campsites arount upstate NY, I can't image a real need for the Curie setup. I ran a lot of tough trails at the 25th anniversary last fall on ZJ steering and had no problems. Plus, I had money left over for beer.

With the ZJ swap that's nothing more than a heavier tie rod, the drag link remains the same. So without going extreme, the only bolt in kit that is recommend so far is the currie setup?

it a WAY heavier tie rod than our stock one. our stock tie rod is hollow tube. the zj one is way thicker and solid stock. it also has a bend in it to help clearance the diff cover. the threaded portion of the ZJ TREs are thicker than our xj ones and the portion that bolts to the knuckle is the same as ours- its a direct bolt in.

So the ZJ drag link is the same as the XJ's?

i have heard that the renix era drag link is smaller than the ZJ and later model xj drag links which are the same. the 97 zj drag link that was on the donor vehicle for my TR was the same thats on my 95 xj. both the xj and zj drag links are solid stock and not hollow like the xj tie rod.

1) The later year XJs got the ZJ TRE and a better link. I was thinking they up graded the 99 XJ but you would need to check. I know my 01 holds up much better then the early ones did.
2) If you have gotten good milage out of your stock setup and you don't intend to change your tires or driving habits. I don't see this as a upgrade at all. You could get good stock idems and spend the extra on Beer.

as far as i have seen XJs have had the same tie rod. i could be mistaken, but i have not heard of the late model TR as an upgrade or being the same as the zj one.

well my drag link needs to be replaced as well and it would be nice to change it out for a serviceable part rather than the one piece setup. You're right, that extra money is a set of adjustable lower control arms.

I am running the JCR 1-ton UTK set up and would not suggest it if this rig is your daily driver. It will eventually develop a deadspot in the steering that can get ya into pucker mode real fast. I love the strength of it and my rig is only a trail rig, so it has worked great for me for what I need it for. I would have to say that for what your using your rig for you would be just fine putting on the ZJ steering. Of course Currie is more expensive, but you get what you pay for, period. I have heard numersous complaints of the Rusty's systems.
Replace the rubber boots with poly bushings. I made some out of some spare leaf spring bushings that I cut down and drilled. Works great.

Replace the rubber boots with poly bushings. I made some out of some spare leaf spring bushings that I cut down and drilled. Works great.

or just buy a pack of 3 at autozone for a couple of bucks, energy suspension part # 9001 or something.

Buy?...Buy??!!!!

NEVER!!!!!!!!
:laugh3:

haha well, i reckon you could take the old rubber ones, model them out of clay and cast them in rubber, clean them up and never leave the house.

that would give your jeep a case of athletes foot or jock itch

Back