• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom overhead consoles

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone build there own overhead console? I searched and couldent find anything. I only found people looking for stock overhead console or how to swap them in. Im looking to build one to put my CB in and made out of thin metal

Here's what a guy on another Jeep forum did in his XJ. I just have something similar fabbed up, but don't have it mounted.

IMG_2087.jpg

Last edited:
Here's an older version of what I did.

overhead_shelf_small.jpg

Is this something you did custom with some flat stock, or modified a shelf from something else to fit? Any more pics?

As you guessed as was also mentioned, I customized what was an available item. The basic frame is from a product called 'Shelf-it' http://www.truckpartsproshop.com/shelf_it_overhead_storage.html. I then may a custom front panel, and other mods to complete the unit. As already mentioned it was about $60 for the basic shelf.

I don't believe they make it for XJ's anymore though. Although I'm sure they are still around if you searched for a bit.

Hmm....I found some Shelf-Its online, and it does appear that they make one for the XJ/MJ still, but they were $100+. I think that's way high for what it is, and judging from the pictures I've seen, I think it's something I could rather easily fab up.

do you find that shelf there to inhibit your vision in anyway? and how far down does it hang? im 6'4" so im worried about line of sight issues. Other than that It looks awsome.

do you find that shelf there to inhibit your vision in anyway? and how far down does it hang? im 6'4" so im worried about line of sight issues. Other than that It looks awsome.

Yes - At 6'4" I'd bet it would be a sizable issue. I'd guess if would be OK for folks up to about 5'6" or so. My other half is about 5'4" and she says it's not a problem. I've learned to live it myself.

I apoligize, I was going to messure it yesterday and forgot. My guess would be it's about 6" at it widest (center) point. As I recall, I relocated the review mirror down about 1" to clear.

Back