• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking Noise

dart70LA

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I am experiencing a clunking noise when braking going forward and in reverse.

I am preparing for a lift, and spent Sunday breaking loose the rusty bolts on the suspension, and retightening them. I did not loosen the u-bolts.

The noise wasn't there before I messed with the truck, I crawled back under and tightened all of the control arm bolts and track bar bolt. But the noise is still there.

Could I have overtightened them?

The noise sounds like it is coming from the front, but I will crawl underneath and double check the leaf spring bolts and see if that solves the issue.

I really want to eliminate the noise before I begin lifting the truck this weekend, otherwise I will have no way to tell what is wrong when I have loosened and replaced every part on the truck if the noise is still there.

when you retighten the nuts jeep should be setting on it's wheels not on jack stands

Problem solved. Not sure if it was the torque specs or torquing while the arms were down that caused the noise.

I used the torque specs from my Haynes manual(yes I need to get a factory service manual), and there was no way that I had torqued the lowers to 133 the first time. And I may have overtorqued the uppers.

Lower 133 ft/lbs
Upper front 55 ft/lbs
Upper rear 66 ft/lbs

Track bar to axle bolt 74 ft/lbs.

I torqued while the truck was on the ground. I should have put the axles on jack stands, as it was a real pain torqueing the lowers with only 10 inches under the vehicle.

I can't wait for the lift. 5"inches from DPG Off-Road(hybrid/RE lift) and another 3 from the tires and I won't have to lift the vehicle to do anything but brakes and chassis repair.

Problem solved. Not sure if it was the torque specs or torquing while the arms were down that caused the noise.

I used the torque specs from my Haynes manual(yes I need to get a factory service manual), and there was no way that I had torqued the lowers to 133 the first time. And I may have overtorqued the uppers.

Lower 133 ft/lbs
Upper front 55 ft/lbs
Upper rear 66 ft/lbs

Track bar to axle bolt 74 ft/lbs.

I torqued while the truck was on the ground. I should have put the axles on jack stands, as it was a real pain torqueing the lowers with only 10 inches under the vehicle.

I can't wait for the lift. 5"inches from DPG Off-Road(hybrid/RE lift) and another 3 from the tires and I won't have to lift the vehicle to do anything but brakes and chassis repair.

Yes, being able to work under your jeep without breaking out the lift is very nice! Although, can leave you with a tired neck trying to change a CPS when it's sitting at 4.5" of lift :D.

Back