• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 XJ starting problem

hjeepxj

#OCDINK
NAXJA Member
I pulled my Jeep outside of my garage so I could work on the bike and went to put it back in, it won't fire. It had ran "fine" about 3-4 hours prior, so it's not like this was a preconceived problem.

I noticed I could not hear the fuel pump turning on, but thats hard to 100% hear when your by yourself and your other truck is running because the battery is shot on the Jeep.

I had the key in the "run" position and @ the fuel rail it would spit out some fuel w/pressure for about half a sec and then run dry a second later.

Tonight I'm going to check the fuses, easy fixes first for me. I didn't think about that last night. After that I guess I'll check the fuel pump.

Any other suggestions as to what it might be?

Could be your dead battery has enough power to crank the engine, but the voltage drops too low to run the electronics.

Try fully charging the battery.

Also, Renix XJ the fuel pump will run 3 seconds only in the "ON" position, should run continuously while cranking.

Could be your dead battery has enough power to crank the engine, but the voltage drops too low to run the electronics.

Try fully charging the battery.

Also, Renix XJ the fuel pump will run 3 seconds only in the "ON" position, should run continuously while cranking.

Yeah, I did read that when searching, which is leading me to believe that it might not be the fuel pump....as it could be operating. I guess Ill have to get a buddy to crank it while I hit the schrader valve.

Also: The battery thing may be an issue.......but Ive jumped it three or four times recently and it was fine. Maybe the battery is the problem?....

Yeah, I did read that when searching, which is leading me to believe that it might not be the fuel pump....as it could be operating. I guess Ill have to get a buddy to crank it while I hit the schrader valve.

Also: The battery thing may be an issue.......but Ive jumped it three or four times recently and it was fine. Maybe the battery is the problem?....

Battery very well could be. You jump it and get started, but once you disconnect the jumper battery there may not be enough voltage present to excite the alternator, and barely enough to keep the engine running. Unlike a generator vehicle alternators won't recharge a dead battery.

Battery very well could be. You jump it and get started, but once you disconnect the jumper battery there may not be enough voltage present to excite the alternator, and barely enough to keep the engine running. Unlike a generator vehicle alternators won't recharge a dead battery.

Well, it's not firing at all, so I'm skeptical that it is the battery....I need a new battery anyways, so I guess I'll "try" that and go from there.

does it have gas lol iv done this before and if it ran out of gas prime it with starter fluid

I put 5 gallons in it about a mile before it did this....

fuel pump relay maybe?

Perhaps...I don't have my Chiltons where I can find it...where is it? Anybody know off the top of their head?

Mine does htis on occassion. When it does, if i jiggle the wireharness on the drivers side firewall, she starts right up. I've disconnected the harness and cleaned it, but this still happens from time to time. Give it a shot, i bet it'll work for you.

Once you have fully charged battery, with clean cable ends and good grounds, try turning the key to the "ON" position, wait 3 seconds then turn to "OFF". Repeat two or three times. Then check for fuel at the Schrader valve on the fuel rail--careful it doesn't spit in your eye.

No fuel, then start troubleshooting that issue. If you have fuel, then check for spark.

Remember that the CKP is the only sensor that can kill a Renix. If you have fuel and spark, then the CKP is Ok.

Back