• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ without engine, WJ 4.7LV8??

dana44

NAXJA Forum User
New babies, new plans...

I have bought a 2000 XJ Limited without motor. It had a 2.5L Turbo Diesel, but the engine has been removed for some reason, so I bought the car for a reasonable price (5000$). I have been looking for a 4.7 WJ V8, and found one whole car yesterday, wrecked, but with the engine, transmission, TC and wiring harness in place. I can get it for 3500$, and I think this is a reasonable price for the parts. I don't want the WJ axles, first of all the front is bent, and the rear is coil... I have an Ford 8.8 sitting in the garage and with a M.O.R.E conversion kit under way I think this will be the best alternative in the rear. I'm thinking about keeping the front from the XJ, but removing the vaccum disconnect, and replacing it with a cable kit.
This will not become a hardcore trail rig, but a daily driver, occasionally driven on rugged roads. I want a 3" lift, and would probably have to lift it becouse of the engine?, and 31" tires. I know AA sells motor mounts for the 5.2/5.9 V8, and lots of other adaptors, but there is no mounts for the 4.7L V8. Will the universal weld-in mounts work for this?

Have I forgotten anything important? Should I keep the TC from the WJ or swap in a 231 with some serious upgrades? Atlas? Manual instead of auto?

Oh, the babyboy was born on the 27th of July, and is by far the sweetest of the two.

Any input is greatly appreciated in advance!

Arnt H. Andresen
Trondheim, Norway

Wow I'd jump on it If you can and have the time to do the swap work witch will be a big project. I'de used the whole drive train. you can upgrade your front breakes and hubs using thr HJ parts and I'de just cut orr fhte brakatry thats not needed on the rear and have some realy realy sweet breaks. The$.7 has go some serious ballls to iti I drove a 2wd dakota for about 1ok as a rental and even stock that thing make me smile everyday abd since you going to have to work with the exaust and intake your looking at a 3oohp motot tahat is smooth as helll as long as you don't have the speed limiter like the rental I had(at 97mph) plus just the cool factoer id way way uptherer.

Will the universal weld-in mounts work for this?

well, weld in mounts will work for anything. XJ mounts are bolted to the frame, they are NOT welded. if you look at them they are a flat 'L' shaped bracket that hugs the rails attached by bolts (atleast on my 4.0L)

I would be very carful welding motor mounts on the sheetmetal frame. I personally would not recommend this, because all of the engines torque starts to transfer through those mounts, the sheetmetal will be weaker to some extent especially after you weld them, the factory style mounts spread the load/torque thought that area. if it was convensional ladder i would say go for it.

why dont you get a 4.0L? their everywhere, you can stroke them to make gobs of power. 4.7 v8 Hp numbers are not that impressive compared to other V8s. I-6 stroker will eat a 4.7V8 alive. 4.7 comes with 235HP/320tq. I think the factory has a porformance upgrade, it goes up to 265hp /325 tq

my buddys 4.9L I-6 stroker just got dynoed beginning of last month. was rated at 288hp 395-400ft at the crank. pretty impressive for a $4k 6 banger no?

a stroker is a good idea but in norway thibg are proble a little diffrent and the 4.7 in stock trim is so mild of funnny. The motor mount would proble be the easiest thing to do out of everything since the XJ has a very simple mount to begine with. But as I saud to begine with if your not even close to haveing the ability this isn't something You should do but if you have the time and the ability it would be a great XJ.

advance adapters sells cradle motor mounts for xj applications.. i'd use them.. one thing you should know.. currie put a 4.7 in a TJ and said he would never do it again because the guages and eletrical were such a hassle.. said he'd do a GM crate motor if he had to do it again....

Yea that is true about currie. I saw that on tv some where.

I just picked up a comanche and was thinking of doing a 4.7 too. I think it would be a clean swap. I will say that a chevy motor would be cheaper, but hey it is one of those things. If you have a line on a 4.7 drivetrain, go for it. I personally wouldn't mess with the AA mounts, I used them for my LT1 swap and could have made them for a lot less money. They do make things a little easier though.
Dustin

Back