• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

manual window regulator

wac1977

NAXJA Forum User
Where is the best place to find a manual window regulator. My buddy is having problems with his and I am having a problem finding a source for a new one. Any links to write-ups on this as well would be great too. Thanks in advance.

rockauto.com or any auto parts store will have them, if not in stock it only takes a few days to get them.

for the install, you will need to drill out the rivots that hold them in place. when installing the new regulator, just use a bolt and locking nut to hold in place. thats about the only thing i can think of that makes the job any more then a remove and replace. oh, be carefull not to drop the glass to the bottom of the door if you need to remove the bolt at the bottom of the glass.

Hallo maybe usefull? Old 06-02-2006
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Window tracks
Here is a write up I posted to another site a while back,maybe it will be of some use to you:
I have an '88 Cherokee Laredo with manual windows. I had been having a problem with my drivers door window not coming back up when fully opened. I had to pull up on the glass while turning the crank in order to get the window back up. Short of replacing the whole regulator assembly, which is a PITA, I decided to try to just replace the regulator cord. Here is the procedure I used:
With the door panel off you will see a metal tube that has a split facing the outer door skin. Inside the tube is a coiled steel spring-like cord with some sort of fiber material inside. To get the cord out put the window down about half way. Carefully wedge a screwdriver in between the glass and the door weatherstrip to keep the glass in place. Unbolt the glass from the cord. Next you have to open up the split in the tube to get the cord out. It helps if you use a small mirror to see what you are working with here. At the salvage yard I just used my channel locks to twist the tube 180 degrees so I could see it but on your vehicle you will want to take more care. On my car I found that a glass cutter tool worked good. The notched part for snapping glass was the right size to fit in the slot and gave me a good angle to pry the slot open. You can use a screwdriver but there is not a lot of room to get a good pull. When the slot is opened enough you can remove the cord by cranking it out as far as you can , then by pulling it the rest of the way. Mine was a little sticky and I had to use pliers to pull it out. Just watch for any sharp edges in the door! Before I installed the new one I gave it a good coating of grease. It went in fairly easy until it contacted the crank gear, then I was able to crank it the rest of the way in. Once it is in you can squeeze the tube with channel locks to close down the gap. If you don't close it enough the cord could come back out. If you close it too much the window will bind at that point. Bolt the glass back up to the cord and you are ready to go.
This procedure should be the same for power windows. Just remember, if you are hunting for the part at a u-pull-it yard, it would be easier to get it out of a car with manual windows. Hope this info helps someone out there.

--------------------
1988 Jeep Cherokee Laredo, 4.0,auto,4x4

'92 XJ

I had been having a problem with my drivers door window not coming back up when fully opened. I had to pull up on the glass while turning the crank in order to get the window back up. Short of replacing the whole regulator assembly, which is a PITA,

i had the same problem with the window regulator that he had so i bought a kit and now have power windows. personally, i have to disagree that changing a regulator is a PITA. its not that hard and i think changing the cord sounds harder than changing the regulator.

my jeep has the same problem, I have a hose clamp installed a stop, to keep the window from going all the way down, the rubber housing for the cord is missing on my passenger side.. just a bare cord..

What kit did you use?

i bought a kit from quadratech to convert the manual windows into power windows. i have a 2 door so it was cheaper then the 4 door and this was about 7 years ago and the kit was cheaper then what it is now.

i didnt feel like dealing with junkyard parts and wiring problems so i decided on the kit. very nice kit with everything needed for the install. i am very happy with the kit.

Back