• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ideas for decent manuals?

Waid Here

NAXJA Forum User
Any ideas out there for decent manuals for a '99 XJ? The Haynes manual is sorely lacking and seems overly generic.

I am interested in info regarding the axles, drive train and such.

thanks all,

-waid

Either get a Factory Service Manual, or for $30/year you can have a one-vehicle subscription to the online Mitchell manuals (way better than Chilton or Haynes, but not as good as an FSM). In the library system where I work, we use the Mitchell online almost exclusively (and it's free to use in the library for the public).

Click this link:

www.ishouldnthavepostedalinktoafsm.com/therulesclearlystatethisisnotallowed.htm

Its for a TJ but it'll have a lot of info relevant to the XJ axles etc. There was one for the 2000 XJ out there but DC got that removed PDQ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Waid Here said:
Thanks for the ideas - the FSM sounds like a good idea. I will also check out the Mitchell at the library.
If your library doesn't offer it, check toledolibrary.org, and go to the databases section. You might be able to get it that way. Some people even without local cards can get it.

I"ll 4th the FSM.....best $100 I've spent on my XJ so far...never leaves the Jeep and has come in extremely handy for when the heep gives me trouble.

Mine never goes in the Jeep - but that's 'cuz I bought the CD version and can print out only what's pertinent to my procedure.

FSM worth it's weight - but don't let many of the factory service tools scare ya:eek:

Mambeu said:
x2 (x5?). Except mine cost less than $100.

The section on the AW4 alone is longer than an entire Haynes manual (seriously, it's over two hundred pages).

:eek: I should be getting one this week.

Back