• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What causes a hummmm...

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
I have a 98 XJ, lifted etc. Ive been chasing down a hum from my front drivers side tire since last summer but cant figure out where it's coming from.

Ive tried:
Wheel bearing
Axle U-Joint
Brake Pads
Rotors
TRE
Alignment last year.

What else could cause a oscillating hum at 45+MPH? Im probably going to try ball joints next cause they are getting close to 100K on them for all know. Maybe control arm bushings too...

Jack up the front end.

Observe the tire tread from the front, spin tire and see if the tread is true.

a humming bird hummmmms

Forgot to mention I rotated the tires, didnt help.
Might be a hummingbird, never know what might get caught under the tires. Pulled a sparrow out of the grill once...

Might try to pull the front driveshaft, will probably leave the axle though ;) Not sure that a drivesaft vibe would transfer out to sound like one wheel though?

ring and pinion....

It might change in loudness as I go around a corner, which might be pointing to the differential bearings...

Well there is no growling when I accel or decel, so Im not suspecting pinion bearing. I pulled the front driveshaft, no difference. Will be rotating tires again tomorrow, that seemed to improve things for a bit last time, maybe something is causing them to wear strangely on the drivers side?

Swapped the tires around, made it a little less loud but not really much of a difference. Also put the front passenger tire up in the air and it spins freely, so its not like the axle is partially locked or anything.

Any other ideas out there?

Back