• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! - rear wheel bearings question on a 99 XJ

Waid Here

NAXJA Forum User
I want to inspect the rear wheel bearings on my 99 XJ 4x4 (it makes a faint grumbly sound from the drivers rear side when coasting). I pulled the wheels, drums and rear diff cover. While trying to remove the retaining bolt for the center pinion shaft the retaining bolt does not have enough clearance in the interior of the housing to get clear of the center pinion shaft so that I can drop it to push in the axles and remove the clips.

Argh - any pointers? This seems really odd that the retaining bolt would not have enough clearance to free the center pinion shaft. I am more likely to believe that I am missing something obvious.

Thanks all,

-waid

I'll bet he has ABS brakes and a D35,never had a problem w/ my 8.25.

Nope - most certainly a 8.25 moped axle. FWIW, there is a 'sweet spot' as you rotate the pinion where the bolt has clearance. In most spots it will bottom out first on the housing.

As it turns out the passenger side rear wheel bearing was shot and it ate the axle. The dealer wants about $300 - but they have them in stock.

-waid

I've never had a problem removing the center pin bolt on a 8.25. Could you take a pic so we can see exactly whats going on?

You do have to turn the bolt out by hand due to the fact a wrench or socket will not allow clearance to pull the bolt all the way out.

I have bent one of the bolts before trying to pry it out due to a bur on the bolt some where.

I rotated the pinion to find a spot in the diff with enough clearance. You are right about not using a wrench once the bolt gets lose enough to use your fingers.

Once I figured out about rotating the pinion around to find the clearance (over rotating brought the bolt back into not having enough clearance) yanking the axles only a couple of minutes.

The end result was finding that the passenger side axle shaft was shot. the bearings were worn out and grooved the shaft. new bearings and seals on both sides with a new shaft and the XJ was back on the road in no time.

-waid

Makes me thankful I have a Dana 35 non C-clip under my 88 XJ. You don't have to mess with pulling off the diff cover to remove the axle shaft. You just pull the drum, remove the 4 bolts on the retainer plate and pull out the shaft. You then sent the shaft to the machine shop and they will press-off the old and press-on the new bearing and seal. You then reinstall and job is done. Sounds like you have more damage than I had.

I feel bad for you having this problem. There are aftermarket places that sell axle shaft so don't be affraid to look at a place beside the dealer. Perhaps you can find posts on the modified forum for axle shafts.

I asked my dealer mechanic which axle he would want if he had an XJ, he told me the Dana 35. It a designed much better for service. I know people throw out the strength issue but if you are running stock size tires - up to 235/75R15 - any axle will servie you well. This is the OEM forum, the oversize tire issue is a modified forum issue.

I hope you get your rig back on the road.

do NOT go to the dealer. $300 is a RIP. You can get wheel bearings for about $80. Unless you are talking about CARRIER bearings, then its an extra $100 or so.

djblade311 said:
do NOT go to the dealer. $300 is a RIP. You can get wheel bearings for about $80. Unless you are talking about CARRIER bearings, then its an extra $100 or so.

Wheel bearings for the rear are about $25, I think the 300 he spoke of was for the new axle shaft that was needed.

Timken 6408's, doing my '98 8.25 in a week or so, bearings in front of me (and verified on Timken site).

Back