• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stumped majorly

FireFly

NAXJA Forum User
OK i got a 90 xj limited 4x4 aw4 trans. replaced the whole cooling system and the fan clutch with a brand new one. now everything works except for the fan clutch! its brand new, out of the box, and only engages when i rev the engine to 3k rpm. does not engage at all unless i make it. what could cause this? this is the 3rd clutch i put on. im stumped, i got the mechanically inclined here stumped, can i stump you? :(

The fan clutch does not engage until it gets hot and is needed. Until then it freewheels. There is some internal friction that you can probably overcome at high RPMs when it is cold. Does the engine now run cool enough? Why did you replace the clutch? A different title for the thread may get you more responses.

find out what temp fan clutch you got then make sure the engin is over that temp before you blame the clutch. my xj fan clutch almost never engages because I flip on my electric before its heat rating is reached. (unless I am idling in trail traffic)

FSM method for testing the fan clutch is to block off the air flow through the radiator. They say to drill a hole in the shroud and put a temperature probe in there. IIRC it said the clutch should engage at 170 degrees F (fan temp). You can probably just block off the airflow and watch your temp gage. By the time you hit 200d, it should have kicked in for sure. Most XK's run at about 210 anyway, so you are safe. When you hit 210, make sure to remove your airflow blockage so you don't overheat.

it gets right at the redliune fo overheating and still doesnet engage. i replaced it cuz i thought the fan clutch was bad. aparently they all are. its a 170 f clutch and it never engages.it will get to 210, wait a 30 seconds then climb even higher. i have no electric fan cuz im still wiring it up.

The fan clutch, standard or ZJ HD, engages when the thermal (bi-metal) spring at its front becomes warmed from the air that flows through the heater core. When that air temperature hits 170 degrees, the bi-metal spring starts to open the little internal valve and the silicone fluid comes out and engages the clutch. When the air flow through the radiator is 170, the coolant temperature is usually 30 degrees higher.

Forget engine RPM, heat controls the fan clutch.

Now, question is, did someone sell you a non-thermal fan clutch?? They are made, but shouldn't be used on your XJ.

its thermal. someone said its the thermostat that could be the problem, others said i can only use oem clutches from the dealer. i have the heater core bypassed. and im running a 195 thermostat. im just stumped lol

Strange. I have been running a NAPA ZJ HD fan clutch for some years--guess that screws the pooch on the idea that only OEM fan clutches work.

Do this--dead cold motor in AM, start engine and check the air flow. What happens is that overnight the silicone fluid leaks out of the reservoir on ALL fan clutches--it will be engaged for a short time when cold, then release as the fluid returns to the reservoir. You should see a reduction in the air flow.

Fan clutches, like water pumps, come in left and rights (or normal and reverse rotation). There is sometimes a little arrow (cast into) on the clutch showing the (designed) direction of rotation.
I had a new clutch (on the shelf in my garage) that I attempted to install, was about half way finished when I had a brain storm. Took a fan blade from the Dodge it was designed for and compared it to my XJ, reverse pitch, designed to turn the other direction.:doh:
Maybe your parts house has a bad listing (it happens) or is trying to sell you a not so universal, universal clutch.

Now i am confused. Mine is always on. Turning while the engine is running. Or are you talking about the electric fan? Sorry for the hyjack.

Now i am confused. Mine is always on. Turning while the engine is running. Or are you talking about the electric fan? Sorry for the hyjack.

Simple, your fan clutch has seized.

all of them? every single one i put on were seized? thats a little too coincidental. the problem is no matter what clutch i put on it dosent work. IT wont engage, it wont cool the engine down. right now the type of clutch i have is a torqflow thermal clutch reverse spin. is this a correct clutch? if it is why wont it work? if it isnt why didnt the other clutches work?

all of them? every single one i put on were seized? thats a little too coincidental. the problem is no matter what clutch i put on it dosent work. IT wont engage, it wont cool the engine down. right now the type of clutch i have is a torqflow thermal clutch reverse spin. is this a correct clutch? if it is why wont it work? if it isnt why didnt the other clutches work?

No. I was answering the hijacker's post, that is why I quoted him.

how do you KNOW that the fan clutch is bad? have you compared the resistance to turning with a cold vs hot engine? (engine off of course). no matter what the fan will turn when ever the engine is running even when "disengaged." and it will always have some give to it even when "engaged." as they are both relative anyways.

if your baseing your claims on just the temp gage alone, there is more to it that. the guage is just a way of say that something may be wrong, not part xyz is inop. we need more info to help you out here so we can get pointed in the right direction

He wasn't talking about yours being seized, he was talking about Crimsons thread hijack.

The fan clutch isn't exactly either/or, you can think of it as having two speeds (just for explanation purposes). It turns, but slips, in normal operation, but doesn't turn at engine RPM. When the coil bi-metal in the front switches the valve at a round 175 F, it slips less and turns nearer engine RPM (it gets stiffer).
Your clutch can be working and your high temperature may be due to something else. Just a wild arsed guess.
Some reasons for overheating are ,
Radiator plugged up with mud (pollen,bugs or whatever), you can wash off the outside but between the layers where you can't really see, may be partially plugged reducing airflow. I use a flashlight to help me see deeper into the radiator fins, and occasionally wash the radiator. I usually wash from the inside out and am careful not to use too much pressure and flatten the radiator fins.
Radiator partially plugged on the inside with calcium and other deposits. I think 12-13 years was the oldest radiator I can remember seeing, most rot well before that age. Typically 7-8 years, is about as long as most last, depending on whether distilled water has been used in the anti-freeze mix and the amount of road salt the outsides are exposed to..
Thermostats, fail, I've gotten bad new ones. A universal thermostat gasket doesn't work, you need an OEM type gasket. I've seen guys install thermostats wrong side out, it usually says on the rim of the thermostat which way to install it. I've seen thermostats crush during installation, either the wrong thermostat (too tall) or hectic work.
Heater valve, heater valve in all but the newest model XJ's (the newest models don't have a heater valve) bypasses some coolant around the thermostat, which helps the thermostat open and close (adjust) quicker. A plugged bypass may cause radical temperature swings.
Air in the system, messes with the coolant flow, which can cause steam, which adds to the vapor and messes with the coolant flow even more. A common indicator is the geyser type spew after you shut the motor off. Air in the system really messes with the convection cooling after the motor is shut off.
I check my fan clutch by feel, of course I have two XJ's and can compare the resistance when I push the fan blade on a stopped hot motor.
An RPM strobe light, would probably tell you quick, how your fan clutch is acting. As the airflow passing through the radiator topped 175 F, the bi-metal would switch the valve and the fan RPM's should increase.
Fan clutches normally only overheat you at or near idle. When the XJ is running down the interstate. you should have enough airflow for cooling without the need of any sort of fan.
The aux fan (electric) on my 96 is starting to cycle on and off frequently when I idle too long, a sure sign my fan clutch is getting weak and/or the valve isn't switching. On the highway, it never overheats, the aux fan never comes on. The aux fan occasionally comes on in my Renix when I wheel or idle for extended periods, even though my fan clutch is about the stiffest I've ever seen. In other words, you may need the aux fan at or near idle, even with a good clutch. Especially depending on the health of the rest of the system.
Sorry I didn't mean to write a book, but thought I'd try too cover much of the stuff in one swoop, thinking you may have a bit of tunnel vision going with the fan clutch.

Last edited:
Back