• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering wanders

jonnywong

NAXJA Forum User
i have a steering issue and i was wondering if it could be attributed to shot tie rod end fittings. Everything else seems pretty tight but when im driving it will take an extra inch or two of turning the wheel before it responds.

3" lift, 31's, 4.0, standard....also the tie rod i speak of is fairly new (rustys HD tie rod), i just messed up the fittings when i was trying to adjust the alignment.

TIA

Could also be some slop in the steering shaft joints or the power steering box.

You need to get underneath and look at the steering joints including the tie rod ends while someone cranks the steering wheel about a quarter turn back and forth. If you see any play in the tie rod ends, you should replace them ASAP. It's not cool when those break.

How did you mess up the fittings?

what i mean are the grease cups...they were destroyed when i was rocking the tie rod back and forth attempting to remove it for adjustment.

Ill have to get a buddy to help me out so i can see if anythings loose while the wheels turning, not sure what else to do at this point

My jeep does the same thing, and we live kind of close to each other. For the sakes of both of us, i hope we never end up near each other on 81. LOL

Oh well the grease cups are a dime a dozen. Well maybe not that cheap. But that isn't going to really hurt the functionality of the joint as long as it doesn't dry out or have the grease washed out by water entirely!

^Thanks for pointing that out, I actually intended on using that write up to finish up the rest of the alignment. So hopefully the caster will solve the problem. :thumbup:

Back