• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Turn Signal Problem 2000XJ

sjroocos

NAXJA Forum User
Got a strange problem on my 2000XJ. Searched and found something similar from a couple years ago, but no solution.

Turn left turn signal on and both rear signals flash (similar to hazard lights.)

Front signals work fine in both directions. Right signal works fine.

Had plug in trailer wiring, but I pulled it off and no change.

Thinking this can't be switch because both front lights work fine. Unplugged the trailer wiring in the driver side rear quarter. Left the plug off and the right signal still works. Was thinking the wiring for both would come through the drivers side, but if that's the case wouldn't the right side stop working when unplugged?

Hoping someone has an answer. I'm stumped.

Thanks.

Steve in Colorado Springs.

XJ's have a convertor box for the trailer lights. You have that box unplugged from the body harness, right? It does seem wierd that the left side doesn't also blink when you turn on the right side.

My 01 does the same thing, doesnt do it every time, but about every 5th left turn the right side will also flash. I keep hoping someone will find a solution because it really confuses the car behind ya at a stop light/sign.

My 01 does the same thing, doesnt do it every time, but about every 5th left turn the right side will also flash. I keep hoping someone will find a solution because it really confuses the car behind ya at a stop light/sign.

Yeah it does confuse people. Mine does it too only when i am on the brakes though. My cousin was following me last weekend and mentioned it to me because she thought i was using the hazards.

Early XJs the wiring harness to the rear ran down the left--driver's side only. Later years it was changed to running down both the left and right.

Maybe the problem is feedback in the circuit. Maybe a diode could fix that. We had similar problems with the mid-eighties Volvo 240 series.

Thinking this can't be switch because both front lights work fine. Unplugged the trailer wiring in the driver side rear quarter. Left the plug off and the right signal still works. Was thinking the wiring for both would come through the drivers side, but if that's the case wouldn't the right side stop working when unplugged?
Nope, just because the front blinkers work fine doesn't eliminate the switch. My '99 had this same problem, I would turn the left blinker on and the rear hazards only would blink. It started off doing this only once and a while, but then it progressed to it would only turn the hazards on every time I turned the left blinker.

Let me ask you this, if you turn your hazard switch on, does it take a while for the hazards to actually turn on? Does only one side light up first? Does wiggling the hardard switch make the lights come on?

I'm pretty sure that its your switch. Find someone who is parting out an XJ and verify that it works, and pick it up pretty cheap from them, rather than $75 from a parts store.

Agree with begster. Multifunction switch has separate contacts for the front and rear turn signals. The front, side, and dash turn signal come off the same contact, and then the rear has it's own.

You don't say if the hazards all work. If they do, that eliminates the wiring. From the switch back, that is the same wire for hazards and turn. If so, it has to be the switch.

If left rear hazard also doesn't work, you need to trace the wires with a voltmeter. My 2000 wiring diagram shows a dark green / red wire going from the switch to the left rear light. Look for it coming out of the steering column and probe it for voltage (with the left signal on).

Last edited:
You're correct, it's the switch.

If I carefully pull the switch down, but not quite all the way, the signal works fine. If I pull it all the way down I get both rear signals flashing.

For now I'll just deal with it manually, but eventually I'll have to replace the switch.

Thanks for all your help.

Steve in Colorado Springs

X2 on the turn signal switch. Very common issue on the 97+ models. Mine did it the moment I drove it off the Carmax lot when I bought it 4.5 years ago. New switch and it's good as new!

You're BSing me. You are a red letter name and you don't know search. OK, just in case you ARE serious, look up in the top rows on this page and click on search. Then click on advanced. HA HA, hope you liked your joke!

Back