• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beam Gussetting

Baja_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got my hands on a 2wd beam for the front of my XJ. What are the weakpoints that need guessets?

CHromo tube through the center is important... then you need to gusset the ears for the knuckles... when we ran our jeepspeed, after about one season, the front tires had camber and looked like this /------\ :shocked:

CHromo tube through the center is important... then you need to gusset the ears for the knuckles... when we ran our jeepspeed, after about one season, the front tires had camber and looked like this /------\ :shocked:

That's what I was thinking... inner tube + braced knuckles & beefed control arm/TB mounts.

Do you drill a few holes along the length and shoot in some plug welds? Or just a bead at each knuckle?

definitly add a few plug welds

No, the inner Cs are open just like on a 4x4 axle (they are likely the same knuckles) so a tube of apprx 1.5" OD can slip inside.

man that sleeve idea is sweet - i assume if for a 4x4 axle if you run aftermarket axle seals they might not fit

This is the beam on the 1719

NRTFrontHousing3.jpg

NRTFrontHousing4.jpg

NRTFrontHousing2.jpg

NRTFrontHousing1.jpg

man that sleeve idea is sweet - i assume if for a 4x4 axle if you run aftermarket axle seals they might not fit

Nope, they won't fit.......if you run the sleeve tube all the way out to the knuckle. If outer tube seals are that big of a deal for you, you could make the sleeve tube shorter to allow you to still run the tube seals.....but it seem to me that this would create a weak point right at the knuckle/tube area. I'd bag the outer seals if you were going to sleeve the tubes.

Nope, they won't fit.......if you run the sleeve tube all the way out to the knuckle. If outer tube seals are that big of a deal for you, you could make the sleeve tube shorter to allow you to still run the tube seals.....but it seem to me that this would create a weak point right at the knuckle/tube area. I'd bag the outer seals if you were going to sleeve the tubes.
Pardon the ignorance, but are you saying it's possible to sleeve a 4x4 axle the same way as the 4x2? IE DOM tube inside of tube? The axle shafts will fit inside the DOM, then? That could be a very cool idea to strengthen my front axle.
TIA

Here's some pictures of the beam i'm building. Its not done yet still a work in progress. Working on the spring purches now.
2WDBeamEnd6.jpg

2WDBeamEnd5.jpg

2WDBeamBot3.jpg

2WDBeamBot4.jpg

2WDBeamDrive2.jpg
2WDBeamtop1.jpg

Back