• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

u joint change

blackdoutxj

NAXJA Forum User
goin to change the axle u joints torrow, just wondering if it can e done with hand tools and what steps u take and or precautions i should look for?! thanx!

it can be done with hand tools. In your case I wouldn't loosen the stub shaft nut that holds the unit bearing together, no need.
You'll need a 12 point 13mm socket fot eh unit bearing bolts. Once you've got those out just pull the unit bearing with the axle shaft attached, and do the joint.
Sometimes the unit bearings are a PITA to get to seperate from the knuckle. Using a set of sacrificial bolts screwed partially into the unit bearings is a good method. That way you can hit them with a hammer and not screw up the factory bolts.

blackdoutxj said:
goin to change the axle u joints torrow, just wondering if it can e done with hand tools and what steps u take and or precautions i should look for?! thanx!

The best way to do it is to borrow the ball joint press from the auto parts store.
If the U joint doesn't want to seat all the way, it is possible that one of the needles is laying on the bottom, if you force it, it will crack the needle.
After you are done, the U joint should move freely, if it feels binding it needs to loosen up. Pressing it back and forth a little or striking the drive shaft with a brass hammer next to the U joint helps.
A ball joint press has better leverage than a vice.

alright going today and tell ya how it goes!!! thanx every1:)!

Just did f d/s uj's for the first time, 116k, a bit of pb blaster (probably not needed in my case) and 2 sockets and vice no problem whatsoever.

hey just wondering if oil will leak out whenni pull the shafts?!?ya im doin it 2morrow instead...:/

On my '98 leakage not an issue; both ends of th fds bolt up to the dif/tc with straps (dif side) or bolts (tc) side (242tc)

The rear has a Currie sye 115k ago still goin' strong, seal isn't even weepin'.

Same deal as front, except bolt and nut on a flange at tranny side.

hth,

blackdoutxj said:
hey just wondering if oil will leak out whenni pull the shafts?!?ya im doin it 2morrow instead...:/

you will have some residual oil come out, but nothing major or to be concerned about. just have something under tp keep the mess cleaned up. also, i didn't see it mentioned, but when you have the caps out, take some emery cloth or something not to abrasive and clean out the grooves where your keepers go and make sure there are no burrs where the caps will be driven into the d/s from removing the old caps

blackdoutxj said:

If your XJ is pre '96 a few drops will probably come out the rear output shaft.
If it is '96 and newer, no problem at all, it is sealed.
BTW, if yours has the new style, before you put it back together, grease the splines with a good quality grease. It is important to keep those splines lubed.

ok thank ya:) will get back on how everything goes!!

blackdoutxj said:
ok thank ya:) will get back on how everything goes!!

I need to caution you about one thing that may be obvious, but it killed a coworker of mine.
When you remove the rear driveshaft, the transmission will no longer keep the Jeep from moving.
A guy I used to work with had a Suburban on his driveway that had a small incline. He popped the driveshaft, the Burb rolled over him and he died a horible, unnecessary, stupid, ridiculous death.

Don't listen to some of these guys. :D They are talking about the driveshaft u-joints, whereas you were asking about the axle shaft u-joints.

Even though, the replacement procedure itself is the same. Don't worry about leakage.

xjohnnyc said:
Don't listen to some of these guys. :D They are talking about the driveshaft u-joints, whereas you were asking about the axle shaft u-joints.

Even though, the replacement procedure itself is the same. Don't worry about leakage.

You are right, he did say axle.
For some reason I was thinking driveshaft.
Sorry!

LOL. I was just worried that the poor kid was gonna get REALLY confused.

na i realized that after one of the guys were talking about a tranny and then i knew but b4 that the other people knew:) thanx though!!

Back