• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head Liner

96xjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I don't know if this is Tech or not but how many guys removed the factory head liner in thier XJ's? Does the inside roof get hot to the touch? I have a 9YO and 2YO and don't want them burning themselves. If I were to sand the roof (outside) and raint it white would that help keep it cooler? Kinda like the thought process around school busses?

Hey I don't know if this is Tech or not but how many guys removed the factory head liner in thier XJ's? Does the inside roof get hot to the touch? I have a 9YO and 2YO and don't want them burning themselves. If I were to sand the roof (outside) and raint it white would that help keep it cooler? Kinda like the thought process around school busses?

My jeep is white, and it doesn't seem to help much. Are you windows tinted? I don't have tint, and I suspect that is alot of my problem.

One thought would be a spray on rubberized undercoating on the underside of the roof. I don't know how well it would stick, or if it would drip before it dried.

Have you taken your headliner out and looked? I'd be more worried about the sharp edges of the sheet metal. I took mine out to work on the leaky sunroof. I figured that if I hit some good bumps or rolled over, I'd have a good chance to gash my head open. The kids will only burn their fingers once. And yes, painting the roof white would help, but then you'd look like a Japanese 4x4. Unless the rest of it was red and blue.

No tint never thought about the Japenese look....LOL

I may pull the headliner and do a pray on bed liner like noted above. Many light coats should cover good and help protect

Little fingers can get in sharp crevices an adult would never even notice. Sure, you can put in bedliner - it stinks for months after. It will not necessarily blunt the edges, or prevent trapping a small child's finger in a fold or hole.

Cherokees weren't designed to be safe without the headliner. The closest to combat use was putting in the rubber mat instead of carpeting for the police version. It's really built just like what it is - a station wagon family vehicle.

Some don't run headliners - they all seem to complain about the heat, noise, sharp edges, etc. They all seem to be trail only vehicles, or getting close to it, not kid haulers.

Some people glue indoor/outdoor carpeting in there, which would reduce noise and might provide some insulation.

I like the carpet idea. Mine is not a kid hauler per say. It is a family wheeler. It is street legal and comfortable to drive but it is a trail rig. I drive it to work on occasion but it gets trailerd to and from most trails. My little guy cannot reach the ceiling unless standing but with head liner looking like crap and sagging I wanted an alternative. I am in the process of building an Exo gage and I will likely run 2 tubes inside as an extra and what I was thinking was welding the tubes to the roof panel. I can still do this then glue outdoor carpet to the roof cuttin garound the tube. Does the outdoor carpet come in grey?

I like the carpet idea. Mine is not a kid hauler per say. It is a family wheeler. It is street legal and comfortable to drive but it is a trail rig. I drive it to work on occasion but it gets trailerd to and from most trails. My little guy cannot reach the ceiling unless standing but with head liner looking like crap and sagging I wanted an alternative. I am in the process of building an Exo gage and I will likely run 2 tubes inside as an extra and what I was thinking was welding the tubes to the roof panel. I can still do this then glue outdoor carpet to the roof cuttin garound the tube. Does the outdoor carpet come in grey?

Don't know if gray is available. I think if you do a search here you will get some good input on what adhesives work well with the carpet, and surface prep.

When I pulled my headliner to re-do it I ran it for a week or so without and decided I needed some insulation so I glued some of that foil lined bubble wrap on the ceiling. That worked great for both insulation and noise.

I did replace the headliner over it. So, why don't you want a headliner? It's an easy project.

Its sagging and its a trail rig so headliner is just a luxery. Noise isn't a concern on a 92. Insulation would be in hot or cold.

Back